Gibson Brands Forums

What is the 'smallest' profile SG neck?

Neo Fender

Haven't seem to have test-driven an SG with a super-playable neck.

I guess I've been a little spoiled by my "modern" Fenders, even my LP Studio.

I mean, hey, I get it, but is there a re-issue year that may have a slimmer profile than most of the Louisville Sluggers I've picked up?

I read somewhere that in '61-62 they introduced a slimmer neck....

Thanks, fellers.

One of the angus young reissues has the skinniest, but for a reasonable price, you would want a 61 reissue....

supposedbly the faded should have a skinny neck too, but i wouldnt be suprised if they have started putting a 50's on some of them...

Neo Fender asks about a 'super playable neck'. Playability has a lot to do with the width of the neck. In other words the dimensions of the fretboard.

Many people get hung up on the depth / thickness of the neck, with little or no discussion about it's width. It's a fact that even with a skinny neck, if the fretboard is wide, it will be uncomfortable to play for many people. It makes the neck harder to grip, and it's more difficult to play 'thumb over'.

So, are there any 'super playable' Gibson necks ? Yes - from 1965, Gibson produced narrower necks on the SG that had a 1 9/16" width at the nut. These are very comfortable to hold - especially if you don't have large hands. The size increased later in the '60s to a still very comfortable 1 5/8" at the nut.

The good thing about these dimensions is that you can retain quite a bit of thickness to the neck (for strength and tone), yet the guitar is very easy to play due to the slightly narrower fretboard.

1 11/16" = 42.86mm

1 5/8" = 41.27mm

1 9/16" = 39.68mm

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzFdsCkZ3ok[/YOUTUBE]

Neo Fender asks about a 'super playable neck'. Playability has a lot to do with the width of the neck. In other words the dimensions of the fretboard.

Many people get hung up on the depth / thickness of the neck' date=' with little or no discussion about it's width. It's a fact that even with a skinny neck, if the fretboard is wide, it will be uncomfortable to play for many people. It makes the neck harder to grip, and it's more difficult to play 'thumb over'.

So, are there any 'super playable' Gibson necks ? Yes - from 1965, Gibson produced narrower necks on the SG that had a 1 9/16" width at the nut. These are very comfortable to hold - especially if you don't have large hands. The size increased later in the '60s to a still very comfortable 1 5/8" at the nut.

The good thing about these dimensions is that you can retain quite a bit of thickness to the neck (for strength and tone), yet the guitar is very easy to play due to the slightly narrower fretboard.

1 11/16" = 42.86mm

1 5/8" = 41.27mm

1 9/16" = 39.68mm

[YOUTUBE']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzFdsCkZ3ok[/YOUTUBE]

I have an SG custom with the thin neck. Tobacco sunburst. It also came with micro frets. I bought it in Chicago at DJ,s music store. I was told it was made for a known guitarist but he did not like it. I was never told who the guitarist was. I was young at the time and did not really care. I just wanted an SG. Took some time to get the feeling on it since I was use to playing a LP standard.

LP studio's have the 50's neck, except the Guitar Center Musicians friend Silver/Greyburst with the coil splitters which features the 60's neck, not sure about the white standard SG. But the only Gibsons with a thin round neck I know of (modern ones that is) are the V and Explorer, Firebirds have the 60's slim taper which is a little flat feeling. Les Paul classics had the slim taper 60's standard come with an option and customs have the fat 50's neck. SG standards have the 50's profile and the SG 61 reissue has the 60's slim taper profile. As Gibsons are the only really true hand made guitars left, take into account that each neck is hand crafted so they won't be 100% the same. Go to a shop and jam on a few.

Are there any re-issues or later models with the 1 9/16" specs (7/8" thickness at firs fret) ?

I've got a SG '68 with this neck size and I just love it.

Jorgen

I've wondered this as well. I really like the late 60's sg's with 1-9/16" necks.

If gibson reissues didn't have the usual 1-11/16" and had a narrower neck, I might consider getting one.

I know I'm probably in the minority on this..

Jorgen, is your 68' SG an standard or special/Jr?

negroj9 wrote:

Are there any re-issues or later models with the 1 9/16" specs (7/8" thickness at first fret) ?

I've got a SG '68 with this neck size and I just love it.

Jorgen

I've wondered this as well. I really like the late 60's sg's with 1-9/16" necks.

If gibson reissues didn't have the usual 1-11/16" and had a narrower neck, I might consider getting one.

I know I'm probably in the minority on this..

Jorgen, is your 68' SG an standard or special/Jr?

It's a Regular, but it was prepared to be fitted with 3 pickups. Only 2 were put in though.

ESP's are no way near these specs, a completely different neck size.

Have there never been any Gibsons made later with these specs? Not any model?

The '61 reissue is thinner depth wise but feels wider across the board. My 2001 special has the fatter depth but is smaller accross the nut. For me the thinner depth is more important than the smaller nut width mainly due to my style of playing. Overall the best neck I've found has been on the Pete Townshend model, it sounds similar to what's being talked about in the above post.

I love the neck on my '99 SG. I don't know what profile it is, but it feel fairly thin and narrow. After I play my Ibanez RG2550 for a while, my SG feels like a toy when I pick it up. The Ibby is quite a bit wider, but not really that much thinner.

I just recently acquired an SG Diablo, and I HATE the neck. On the Gibson site it says it has "Gibson's traditional round neck profile" which I guess is the '50s profile.

I haven't played another SG since '99 when I bought mine. Apparently, all the new ones have this profile now. When did they switch?

Archived