Gibson Brands Forums

gibson j200 string guage

g6120

I should also probably add that I've always run mediums on mine and although some people prefer lights because they're easier to play, I really think mediums enhance the sound a lot. It can definitely handle mediums, so you may wish to try a set of each and see what you prefer. Let us know the results when you've decided what you like best.

I have an 2001 SJ200, & I agree with guitarstrummer. You owe it to yourself to try a set of med's.

If you don't like them you can always go back to lights.

I have lights on my AJ short scale, as well as my epi AJ 500M. But the med's really brought out something in my SJ 200, that it just didn't have with lights.

I didn't have to get the 200 set up for med strings, they fit with no problem. Like it was waiting for me to put them on. You might not be so lucky!!

Hard to say!!

• 2 weeks later...

As an additional option, I keep Elixer Nano Med/Lights on my Gibson AJ. Mediums were to much for my fingerstyle playing but did sound great for flatpicking and strumming but I didn't notice any big loss of volume when I went lighter. I play primarily through an amp anyway with a K & K mini installed and really like the lighter feel. My main guitar is my Taylor 612CE and I always keep light Elixer's on that one.

The J-200 I owned was a '57 and I parted with it a long time ago, but I remember a hybrid guage sounded really good. John Pearse makes a Bluegrass set, for example, that has lights for the G,B and E then has equivalent to mediums for the D,A and low E.

The benefit of this combination was getting so much low end out of the large guitar body but having the trebles in a guage that was easier to play (I like to bend). I also liked to play with the low E dropped to D in those days and that big old .56 string was amazing tuned down.

A note about humidification: I assume most of us here know how to keep a guitar properly humidified, but I want to stress that this is even more important if you opt for the extra pressure medium guage strings put on the instrument.

Archived