Gibson Brands Forums

Red or White?

lockjawdavis

In my endless search to find the right J-45 for me and my budget, I've noticed that the inside labels are sometimes white and sometimes red. Maybe there are other colors, as well, but red and white seem to be the colors of choice in the Gibson factory. Is there any significance between a red label Gibson and a white label Gibson? I've never seen it discussed here.

Just curious...

This was part of a response that I got last year from Gibson when I asked the use of white label colors.

All modern Gibson acoustics (i.e., not historic or vintage in appearance) have the white labels.

Best regards,

Vincent Wynne

Gibson customer service

service@gibson.com

This was part of a response that I got last year from Gibson when I asked the use of white label colors.

That's interesting. Maybe it's not new enough, but my 2001 J-45 has an red/orange label, and according to Gibson, it's just a "J-45." No descriptor.

Gibson has changed the colors of their labels from time to time throughout their history. The lastest change from orange to white is fairly recent. Don't quote me, but I think it occurred in 2008. The white label is used on the contemporary versions of their instruments (i.e,. the Standard and Custom series); the True Vintage, Legend series and the like retain the orange label. Some models this year have a multi-color Anniversary label that features a Montana mountain top.

Red 333

Archived