Gibson Brands Forums

Old vs new L7C

dvd5300

Why do I keep searching for the perfect 60's L7C that's not over-priced when I can buy a new one? The vintage ones are hard to find, especially in good condition. And they're always over-priced. I've seen them range from $4,000 to 7,000. I can hop on the Musician's Friend website and order a new one for $5,300 and have a warranty, functional truss rod, clean fretboard, new frets and perfect finish. So here's the question: Are the new L7C's the same weight as the old ones (roughly 6 lbs.)? What about the nut width: are they 1-11/16 or 1-23/32"? And finally, can anyone who has played a new (2009-2010) L7C comment on the sound and feel. I'd appreciate it.

The vintage ones are hard to find' date=' especially in good condition. And they're always over-priced. I've seen them range from $4,000 to 7,000.[/quote']

First of all the prices your seeing are "asking prices", the sellers are not getting these kinds of prices for an L7 (C or not). You can buy L-5's all day long for $5000, and L-7's just do not command prices anywhere near the L-5. I've never seen any L-7 actually sell for over $3500, and that was about two or three years ago before the vintage guitar market collapsed with everything else in the US (and global) economy.

You should be able to aquire the the 60's L-7C you want for about half those asking prices, make them an offer.

• 9 months later...

I have wondered the same thing many times. I have a 1950 Gibson L-7C with the double McCarty pickguard. I am thrilled with it. So I went to Memphis and to the Gibson factory there. They had a new L-7C in the retail store. I got to play it for some time. Although it was not set up properly, it showed signs of possibilities. It's x-braced, so it's unlike the older ones which were parallel braced. The response wasn't as crisp as I had thought it would have been, but all the notes were there. It is always hard to compare guitars when one is sixty years old. I will say that overall it was a good guitar. It wasn't staggering, like a nice old one that nearly plays itself. It felt stiff and a little unwelcoming. The fit and finish was up to Gibson standards. They are not the same guitar in my honest opinion. I could get to like one of these, but it's not the same. If you're looking for a very good quality acoustic archtop this is a good choice. Not many people are making them, so it's kind of a narrow market. I'm a huge archtop fan, and it's pretty much all I care to own. I've gone through a LOT of them. The new L-7C is cool. Don't try installing pickups in it though.

I would have thought that Gibson would have done a really nice setup on this guitar and made it sound and play it's best. The potential is there though.

P

• 2 years later...

I see this is an old post but I hope you got your L7C and enjoy it. I have a '59 that I got new back then and use a period correct monkey-on-a-stick pickup on that is my favorite guitar. It shows it's age in places and it's currently in for a refret but it draws a crowd of guitar players anywhere I take it out of it's old case. I really don't know what they're worth to a buyer but it's priceless to me.

I see this is an old post but I hope you got your L7C and enjoy it. I have a '59 that I got new back then and use a period correct monkey-on-a-stick pickup on that is my favorite guitar. It shows it's age in places and it's currently in for a refret but it draws a crowd of guitar players anywhere I take it out of it's old case. I really don't know what they're worth to a buyer but it's priceless to me.

Back to the original thread a little.. personal opinion here:

The factors between an old and a new L7 for me are this

1)Neck size: like the big 50s necks, dont like the thinner early 60s necks and narrow late 60s necks. I think I like the 70s necks but it has been a while

2) I have a 64 ES125 and actually like the modern size frets. One of the things I didnt like about my 56 ES150 was the smaller frets (and shrunken inlay)

3) For people outside the US.. 90% of what I can find is in the US and 50s/60s ones with Brazilian boards make me nervous (CITES).

Archived