Gibson Brands Forums

Studio Monitors Question

hi there! i have a quick question, I have a set of M Audio bx5a's and a bx10 sub for my home studio monitor setup and its a drag to turn them on and off because the power switches are on the back of the monitors themselves so i have to reach around to turn them on and off. I was wondering if i could just leave the power switch in the on position and hook them up to a power conditioner and when i turn the conditioner on they'd be on and vice versa as long as the volume was all the way down before i did that??? im not sure if this would damage the speakers or not. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks alot!!!

• 6 months later...
Guest BentonC

Yes, this will work and shouldn't damage your equipment. Use a quaility power conditioner and not a power strip.

That's good to know. I've heard that this can be a bad idea, as you are leaving the switch closed, so when you turn the power source on, a surge will hit the transformer of whatever device is plugged in and switched to "on", and could damage the gear. Does the power conditioner control the surge when powered up that most power strips won't be able to control?

I've heard that this can be a bad idea, as you are leaving the switch closed, so when you turn the power source on, a surge will hit the transformer of whatever device is plugged in and switched to "on", and could damage the gear.

As I see it, a switch is a switch is a switch. I see no difference in where the switch is in the voltage stream. The key here is just to have the volume at "minimum" when the voltage hits.

Just as "starting" a car is the is the worst thing you can do to an engine, turning electronic equipment "on" is the moment where most failures will occur.

Best solution, just leave them on. The gear in my recording studio has been "on" for 20 years. The current draw is proportional to the power being used, therefore at "0" volume you are only "consuming" the electricity to power the pilot light.

Guest BentonC

Best solution, just leave them on. The gear in my recording studio has been "on" for 20 years. The current draw is proportional to the power being used, therefore at "0" volume you are only "consuming" the electricity to power the pilot light.

A good amount of pro studios I know of do the very same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

That's good to know. I've heard that this can be a bad idea, as you are leaving the switch closed, so when you turn the power source on, a surge will hit the transformer of whatever device is plugged in and switched to "on", and could damage the gear. Does the power conditioner control the surge when powered up that most power strips won't be able to control?

Wow, haven't been on this forum much; too much fun in the lounge !!! Yes, a QUALITY power conditioner will be quite safe, they power up slower by milliseconds or however they say it technically.....Ideally he should power the speakers on/off themselves, but, space considerations, etc etc.......

Archived