Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone em2 rebel

epiphoneem2

• 2 years later...

I have one of these beasts as well and I'm having little to no luck finding any of the data.

Mine was my brothers and it is a freakin MESS .. so I'm gonna bring it back to life.. it needs ALOT of care.

any suggestions? I'm lookin for info on Pick-ups (what it has/ what would shred, can a neck be acquired or should I have this one re tooled as it's missing a few inlays (maybe just have it scalloped)

I know they aren't worth much, it's more a sentimental thing then anything else. That and the neck plays like lighting! really want to make it a screamer so PLEASE .. any suggestions greatly appeciated!

Posted pics on flicker ...

Em2 Restoration

~MAC~

From the looks of the cavity, I'd say you have active pickups in it right now. And from the looks of the pickups and the model year, I'd say they are Vantage humbuckers. Vantage PUps are gutless and fuzzy. Just terrible. The active versions may be a bit more ballsy, but I wouldnt worry about trying to replace them with original specs.

Not sure what to reccomend for replacements. I'm not really versed in pickups, so maybe someone else can give you some suggestions. I guess it really depends on your tastes.

As for the neck, it would probably be cheapest to just have the inlays replaced. I think I've only seen a neck for one of these on Ebay once or twice. The 1990's versions of these guitars are a bit rare. And since the retooling and rerelease of the EM in 2008, they are more expensive than they were prior. Thats not saying much though...they usually sell for around $350 in good condition, which is about $100 more than before the new EMs were rolled out.

From the looks of the cavity, I'd say you have active pickups in it right now. And from the looks of the pickups and the model year, I'd say they are Vantage humbuckers. Vantage PUps are gutless and fuzzy. Just terrible...

As for the neck, it would probably be cheapest to just have the inlays replaced. I think I've only seen a neck for one of these on Ebay once or twice. The 1990's versions of these guitars are a bit rare...

YES YES YES ~ I do remember the PUPS blowing chunks, that's why he stripped the covers, but they aren't active. Think he paid something like $400 new ..SUCKER!

ANYWAY that dilemma is possibly solved. I LUCKED OUT and popped into my local Guitar Center yesterday, not ONLY did I find a M3 hanging in the used gear section ( what are the odds?), but I found Lace Silver/Red duallys w/ black covers on clearance, and got the last two for $63 out the door .. a great buy because I also acquired a `07 Studio Paul recently that someone hacked PRS pickups into and haven't put it thru paces yet so they might go there .. still thinking about it .. but they'd line up GREAT in that too!

I really gotta figure out the neck, it's a real issue ... The inlays started popping out LONG ago and most of them where replaced with some kind of wood .. so to go back with pearl on the others would look like ****. I have played scallops before.. but seeing how I can't just get a neck .. I'm not gonna attempt it myself. ... luckily, one of Yngwie's guys is a local ( his drummer is a friend of mine as well) so I guess that's the next call ... I LOVE the neck on this guitar, that's the only reason I'm toying with it, so whoever works it has to be top notch!

Not active, eh? I'm actually surprised by this. For some reason I thought they were. Maybe because the new EM2s have actives in them and so do the 90's EBM basses. Also, It looked like an active PUP-type clip in the cavity. I guess it really doesnt matter considering one of the pickups is split in half anyway...and they werent good to begin with.

Too bad you didnt score that MKIII at GC. Those are probably miles better in the electronics area. I always liked the looks of the EM2s better than the MK guitars though. They made some with single coils and hideous tortise shell pickguards. Yech!

If you are going to scallop the neck, I guess one of Yngwie's guys would be the man for the job. Personally, I would try to remove all of the inlays and just replace them. But I'm not a scalloped neck player.

Good luck to you. I would love top see this guitar once you get it finished.

• 2 years later...

I just picked up an Epiphone EM1-VS which I believe to be the Epiphone version of the Rebel, the serial number shows it was made by SAMIK in Korea in 1993.

I like this guitar as it's a bit quirky with the upside down tuners and that great toggle switch which gives the pickups a lot of different sounds.

Taking the cover off the controls I was staggered to see what looks like a ferrite core wound coil mounted on top of the tone control, no wonder it has a wide range of sounds.

Has any member got a wiring diagram for this guitar? if not I'll trace it out and post for any member who's interested.

I just picked up an Epiphone EM1-VS which I believe to be the Epiphone version of the Rebel, the serial number shows it was made by SAMIK in Korea in 1993.

I like this guitar as it's a bit quirky with the upside down tuners and that great toggle switch which gives the pickups a lot of different sounds.

Taking the cover off the controls I was staggered to see what looks like a ferrite core wound coil mounted on top of the tone control, no wonder it has a wide range of sounds.

Has any member got a wiring diagram for this guitar? if not I'll trace it out and post for any member who's interested.

Well I found this which seems to cover the EM1 nicely.

Note covers other Gibson and Epiphone models as well.

M3schematic.PDF

Archived