Gibson Brands Forums

Buffalo Horn Bridge Pins

TheLiveSoundGuy

I just bought a set of those from that seller. They were very nice. The 5 degree taper fit my '99 J45R but did not fit my '06 J45 Maple. I got a set of bone ones(3 degree taper) from LMI to fit that one. I haven't seen a set of Colosi's so I can't give you a comparison. But, I'm very happy with them. the color is very even and they blend in with the ebony bridge. Almost invisible.

I have a set of Buff horn end pins, they are on my J45..

I just recently bought my J45.. and it was so disappointing to see such cheap looking PLASTIC end pins...

It was like... you buy a brand new Porsche and it comes with steelies...

So i put the buffalo horn end pins on my j45.. and it sounds so much better...

I'd really want to try bone or ivory though..

Jeff

With all the discussion about pins in recent months, I went into my files and got out all the original pins for every guitar I own. As a pin junkie, I have collected everything - even had sets made in Sterling Silver and 10K gold.

What I learned from my foray through original pins, is that about half of my guitars sounded great with the original pins (plastic of course) because the fit was perfect.

I have not bought from this specific eBay seller, but I have experience with this exact pin type.

These pins appear to be re-sells off larger lots you can import from China. The seller parcels them up in consistent sizes, which is nice, because the box of 500+ arrives as a tossed salad. The actual material they are made with is ox horn from a Chinese ox - quite different from our North American oxen (Yes, I know I am probably the only person here who ever took a team of these stupid SOBs through a field) in that they are more well behaved and darker horned. Still, some Chinese pins have been inked or dyed which I worry could lead to bleeding.

I have approximately 20 sets of horn pins that appear to be exactly what this seller is processing. I have white, ivory and black coloured pins - all with abalone inlays. I would be comfortable using them in any Martin.

What I learned from my foray through original pins' date=' is that about half of my guitars sounded great with the original pins (plastic of course) because the fit was perfect.

Thanks for that BC. I agree entirely having spent over an hour in a shop the other day trying to replace my "nasty" plastic pins on the SWD.I tried all sorts but the plastics sounded best.

I suppose that I just have one of those guitars.

John

What I learned from my foray through original pins' date=' is that about half of my guitars sounded great with the original pins (plastic of course) because the fit was perfect..[/quote']

Thanks for that BC. I agree entirely having spent over an hour in a shop the other day trying to replace my "nasty" plastic pins on the SWD.I tried all sorts but the plastics sounded best.

I suppose that I just have one of those guitars.

John

• 4 weeks later...

I have owned a lot of different types of pins and have tested several materials, I also work with several guitar brands and I can say without reservation that replacing THOSE CHEAP PLASTIC PINS pins is the thing to do. I hate to let a lot of folks down but Tusq is still PLASTIC ! I KNOW- I replace them all the time usually with bone. It makes a big difference. Most older Gibsons have the bone nut and saddle but black horn or bone bridge pins will be an improvement. Most Martins; D-28s and up use bone, most of the other less expensive models use Tusq saddles and plastic pins. I would recommend using bone saddle and pins on most Martins. many Gibson owners have told me that they like horn because it is a little softer than bone and like the sound better than bone from there opinions go all over the place. Well I will quit before I get into fossil mammoth ivory and the different types of bone pins - all are not created equal. Colosi pins are made better than most. a tight fit is all important. Other good makers are Bryan Englands, Custom Inlay or David Werther but expect to pay a little more, how important is the sound of your guitars ?

Archived