Gibson Guitar Board: Late 1930s/early 1940s Gibson. Please identify - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Late 1930s/early 1940s Gibson. Please identify looks like an L series

#1 User is offline   wopoq 

• Group: Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Hi Gibson Forum,
My friend has asked me to identify a guitar he has lying around, here are some pictures.
Posted Image
Posted Image
I ask on your kindness and knowledge to help and identify this guitar. I've asked my friend to look for a FON on the outside, and inside the f-holes but he says he can't see any. I've done some google searching and the closest match is an L-50, but has motable differences (pickguard, fret inlays, logo font etc.) so it can't be that, but it's obviously an L series. Thanks to any repliers, my friend, Andy Jones, would really appreciate this.

#2 User is offline   JimR56 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

Not sure what to make of the unusual "Gibson" head inlay, but the guitar appears to be a "Recording King" model M5, which was made by Gibson but marketed by Montgomery Ward. A web search should provide you plenty of details.

Another possibility is a Gibson-made instrument distributed in the UK by Francis Day & Hunter (the "FDH" model).

One of our members, Paul Fox, has a webpage devoted to the subject: http://www.fox-guita...ade_Brands.html

I'm sure Paul will come along soon to help clarify this for you.

#3 User is offline   JimR56 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

More info here: http://www.paulverno...m/GibsonFDH.htm

#4 User is offline   JimR56 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

Posted Image

I've never seen one of these in person, but this FDH looks like the same guitar. Good photo, but I can't quite make out what is inlaid on the headstock. I never thought that these guitars that Gibson made for other companies ever had "Gibson" inlaid on the head, but I learn something every day around here.

#5 User is offline   retrorod 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

WOW! Good bit of detective work Jim! I have never seen one either but looks like Gibson. Cool!
"You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from."--Cormic McCarthy

Celebrating the sixty years of "white privilege" that i have just recently learned that I was born with...

#6 User is offline   slimt 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNear the Mountains...

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

Ive owned a few of these R.Ks..

#7 User is offline   retrorod 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

With the Gibson logo?
"You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from."--Cormic McCarthy

Celebrating the sixty years of "white privilege" that i have just recently learned that I was born with...

#8 User is offline   wopoq 

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

Nice detective work indeed! I can't argue with the photo match, neck and body wise it's a perfect match. My friend will be really happy with this, thanks.

#9 User is offline   pfox14 

• BANNED

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:38 AM

View PostJimR56, on 14 April 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

Not sure what to make of the unusual "Gibson" head inlay, but the guitar appears to be a "Recording King" model M5, which was made by Gibson but marketed by Montgomery Ward. A web search should provide you plenty of details.

Another possibility is a Gibson-made instrument distributed in the UK by Francis Day & Hunter (the "FDH" model).

One of our members, Paul Fox, has a webpage devoted to the subject: http://www.fox-guita...ade_Brands.html

I'm sure Paul will come along soon to help clarify this for you.

Way to go Jim. It is a FDH Special. This was the only Gibson-made brand to carry the Gibson name on the peghead. As Jim mentioned, it was made for a large UK-based Gibson dealer called Francis, Day & Hunter between 1937-1940. There were only 123 of these made, so it is a fairly rare guitar. Steve Howe of Yes plays one. Any possibilities of sending me some higher quality pix? Email: info@fox-guitars.com Thanks

#10 User is offline   pfox14 

• BANNED

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

Here's a sales flyer from 1937 showing the FDH Special - "The Guitar That Gives You Everything"

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   JimR56 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

View Postpfox14, on 15 April 2012 - 05:38 AM, said:

There were only 123 of these made, so it is a fairly rare guitar.

Wow, I'd say that's pretty rare indeed, especially since many of them may not have survived the past 70 years.

Great looking guitars, by the way. [thumbup]

#12 User is offline   slimt 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNear the Mountains...

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

View Postretrorod, on 14 April 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

With the Gibson logo?

No.. Just the Recording King logo. Model 5 and 6s... kinda wierd seeing a Gibson Logo.. there actually a decent guitar..

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users