Gibson Brands Forums

Nylon Strings

MrNylon

I finally received, and strung my SG Std. with the D'Addario ETB92S Nylon Tapewound strings. If you ever want the flat sound string from a round string, definitely go with the ETB92S. They are Short Scale, and are a perfect fit for the std. set up. (.50, .65, .85, .105) The Nylons are also east in the frets, and the board. And you fingers too. They are hard, and polished slick as glass. Not like the old Nylon Tapewounds from the past, that were soft, and almost sticky at times. Nylon ETB92 strings are also made for Medium Scale, Long Scale, and Five String.

They look too thin for the gauge but nice thick, boomy sound no doubt.

Be nice to see how these sound, maybe a video? ;)

BSB

Hi BSB; I don't have the video equipment. But, the D'Addario site has a video of the Nylons. The gauges really are, (.50, .65, .85, .105) [thumbup]

Hi BSB; I don't have the video equipment. But, the D'Addario site has a video of the Nylons. The gauges really are, (.50, .65, .85, .105) [thumbup]

cbb18e32-17e1-4889-b623-dfe14500d30a.jpg

haha awwww, nevermind. just the thought of an SG and those strings is something to hear.

i shall check out the site not but PHROAW! thats some glossy goodness going on there! msp_drool.gif

BSB

gsgbass: I like the looks of those strings on your bass. Nice to see they are still around. I used to use taped strings exclusively on my '58. In fact the day I got it ...it had nylon strings on it. Each string was a different color. Ever seen those before?? The guy I bought it from said it was a "teaching set". I also like the fact they are kinder to your fingers and the frets.

I haven't seen the assorted colored ones. Or I may have seen them, and didn't know what they were. I used Nylons back in 1970 on my 1969 EB0. These new Nylons are sooooo much more improved, and better than the older style Nylons. I've used the D'Addario ETB92 Nylon Series strings on Gibsons, Fenders, G&Ls, and Rickenbackers with no problems on set up, intonation, etc. They fit the nut properly as well. Smooth as LIGHTNING to play, and easy on the fretboard, strings, and fingers. A great flat wound sound from a round string. They last a long time with no corrosion issues, or metal shavings like with some flats. I order mine from GC on-line. They stock the ETB92S (short scale) Nylon Tapewounds.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been using short scale Nylons on some SG Std. basses in the past couple of years, until I tried medium scale ETB92M Nylons on my 2015 SG Std. Bass. the short scale string's silk hit to close, or onto the nut. The mediums put the silks well above the nut. Looks like my next order for Nylon strings will be for ETB92M medium scale.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been using short scale Nylons on some SG Std. basses in the past couple of years, until I tried medium scale ETB92M Nylons on my 2015 SG Std. Bass. The short scale string's silk hit too close, or onto the nut. The mediums put the silks well above the nut. Looks like my next order for Nylon strings will be for ETB92M medium scale.

11a3N0V.jpg

Yeah, That's called the Nylons strings looks too good in that guitar and I also want to know that we can use all types of strings in acoustic guitar or just Nylon we can use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I changed out the D'addario ETB92S Nylons, to ETB92M Nylons on the SG Spl. They fit fine, and play great!

The look identical except the length.

BTW: there is something i do not like on the Daddario tapes: if You play them hard, the tone is not "punchy" anymore - there seems to be a fairly thin steel string below the Nylon windings. Dependent on the band context they might be too dark.

There is a whole world of modern tapewound strings with different properties:

Fender - more mid emphasis, low price. Although long scale i could successfully use them on a short scale bass with *thin* tuning pegs.

LaBella - thicker than the Daddarios, more tension, more "organic" sound.

Pyramid - woody, less sustain. Closest to the tone of a double bass of all black tapes. Like the ETB92, these strings last "forever". My favorites on my acoustic bass and on my fretless Flying V interpretation.

In order to get a more versatile sound from one of my basses i ordered LaBella Gold White Nylons from bassstringsonline. I hope they will arrive in a reasonable time here in Germany.

• 1 month later...

I ran rotosound tru bass 88s nylon wounds on my sg faded bass for a while a many years back, but the low e was impossible to intonate. think it's a 115 monster. I had to flip the saddle backwards, and even then I could not make the string long enough. I kept it tuned so it would play good up to the fifth fret or so, but eventually gave up on them.

Tried chromes for a bit, which were ok, but just never loved them on that bass. Then I ran thomastik jazz flats for a long time- buttery feel, great tone, but when you dig in they flap too much- you can hear the pitch bend over the course of the note. had to open the truss rod WAY out to accommodate them, too.

finally got over my flat obsession and went back to sunbeams 105-45, those were great. favorite string for a lot of basses, those sunbeams are always a joy to play.

I have fodera nickels on there now, which took a long time to break in but also play and sound great once they did. a bit grabber than sunbeams now that they are past their prime, but a bit more bite to the tone, too.

still love my old sg faded. paint is wearing off the neck from playing it so much over the last 6 years, but that just makes me love it more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived