Gibson Brands Forums

3-way pickup switch problem

ontellio

hey brand new to the forums and ive been searching for a while but still cant understand how to fix this problem. i just bought a brand new epi sg quilt top LTD ED. and when i switch to the rhythm position the respective tone control works and the volume but when i switch to the middle position it sounds the same as the rhythm but the second tone control for the treble?... is working for it too! at first i was all like ooooh this is pretty unique but then i switch to the treble there is nothing for about 10 mins... then comes the sound chokingly coming through the amp... and then it goes out. when i look under the hood she seems to be all tucked in ... anyone else have an idea?

1XKdYG1.jpg?1

These 3-way switches have 4 prongs, one upper, one lower, and two middle. Sometimes they may not make contact properly when you flip the switch, especially if you don't leave the toggle in the middle position. If you leave it in the bridge or middle position, the metal in one prong can evenually bend sightly and not go back to it's original angle. To fix it, just lift the toggle out (don't unhook any wires) and look at it from the side as you flip the switch back and forth in the 3 positions. You'll see if it's making contact or not. If not, just bend the offending prong slightly back into place. You can do this while the guitar's plugged in to verify. Very simple, no cost.

That would be where I would start, too. BTW, welcome to the forum. You've done good, right off the bat, by putting up a picture of your guitar on your first post. Stick around and join in. Now here's your forum-warming present. +1

These 3-way switches have 4 prongs, one upper, one lower, and two middle. Sometimes they may not make contact properly when you flip the switch, especially if you don't leave the toggle in the middle position. If you leave it in the bridge or middle position, the metal in one prong can evenually bend sightly and not go back to it's original angle. To fix it, just lift the toggle out (don't unhook any wires) and look at it from the side as you flip the switch back and forth in the 3 positions. You'll see if it's making contact or not. If not, just bend the offending prong slightly back into place. You can do this while the guitar's plugged in to verify. Very simple, no cost.

oh man i couldnt thank you enough its working now both volumes and both tones. i appreciate the help another question when in the middle position if the rhythm volume is all the way low nothing plays is that the way its spose to be ?

That would be where I would start, too. BTW, welcome to the forum. You've done good, right off the bat, by putting up a picture of your guitar on your first post. Stick around and join in. Now here's your forum-warming present. +1

thanks tweed i will definitely be sticking around im not sure how many of these were made but this is one of the less popular models i see around ... and i dont see why its a great guitar. thanks for the welcome

oh man i couldnt thank you enough its working now both volumes and both tones. i appreciate the help another question when in the middle position if the rhythm volume is all the way low nothing plays is that the way its spose to be ?

Glad you got it going. The toggle thing happens from time to time, but you can fix it in a minute so it's never a big deal. If you replace it, the new one may eventually do it too.

Epi's are wired for 'dependent volume controls' which means in the middle toggle position, turning down one PU turns them both down. I don't like that, and rewire my guitars for 'independent volume controls.' That allows me to blend both PU's in increments and get many more tones. It's very simple to make the change, you just switch the lugs on the volume pots that go to the toggle wire and the PU/tone wires.

Looking from the bottom of a volume pot, the three lugs are left to right:

- Dependent volume controls: ground, toggle, PU/tone

- Independent volume controls: ground, PU/tone, toggle

I use a soldering iron or soldering gun to melt the solder on the lugs, pull the wires off, and put them on different lugs. The ground lug on the left is the same for either method. Just takes a few minutes to convert them. There's diagrams online.

Nice looking SG, BTW. What PU's are in it? How do you like the sound of them?

Archived