Gibson Brands Forums

300k vs. 500k Pots

beowolverine93

What is the difference between a 300k pot and a 500k pot? What are the pros and cons of both?

500K allow more treble and volume when fully set to 10 and what was used back in the 1950's to the early part of the 1970's before Gibson made the switch the 300K audio.

The shortest answer is 300k is for P-90s, and the 500k is for humbuckers.

The short answer for sound wound be the higher value will give more volume and brightness, and the smaller value warmer and fuller sounding.

In real life use, there MAY not be much difference. The ones I have measured, those marked 500k usually measure anywhere from around 400k to 500k. they RARELY or never exceed 500k, and if I was to guesstimate the average, it would be around 450k.

In real life, 300k pots I have measured are usually 310-400k. They rarely if ever are under 300k, and are USUALLY much higher toward the 400k range. I would guess the middle of the range I would expect is 350k, but most are higher.

In other words, I think if you were to actually measure what is in most guitars, it would not be hard to find 300k pots and 500k pots measuring the same. And, the difference on average is less than expected.

Since I seem to be on everybody's shitlist right now, would someone like to explain to me what tonal differences ANY potentiometer makes set to "10" and "Zero Ohms" resistance (BYPASS), volume OR tone... Come on now, it's a resistor, it only affects volume. Until you introduce a capacitor (tone control) how can there be any tone deviation because of a pot value.

The only difference you will get is sweep range.

500k is brighter

gibson pots vary to what they say they are 300k to what they measure 240 to 330k not accurate at all. this is called tolerance. replace them all with CTS pots for a more accurate tolerance +/- 5% personally i have a 500k for my bridge and a 300k for my neck

Since I seem to be on everybody's shitlist right now, would someone like to explain to me what tonal differences ANY potentiometer makes set to "10" and "Zero Ohms" resistance (BYPASS), volume OR tone... Come on now, it's a resistor, it only affects volume. Until you introduce a capacitor (tone control) how can there be any tone deviation because of a pot value.

The only difference you will get is sweep range.

I just checked my shitlist, and I didn't find you anywhere on it. You didn't even qualify as an alternate.

Ideally, a volume control will not change the tonality. It IS possible to have the circuit designed to where the volume works as a volume and does not change the tone when it is turned up or down. Personally, the guitars that sound the best to me behave that way.

• 1 month later...

Archived