Gibson Brands Forums

Cornford Roadhouse 50 constant Low Hum

D28boy

Recently I have a brief very low hum /feedback just after switching my Roadhouse 50 combo on that has happened occasionally. Well yesterday it started after I been playing a while and continued...doesn't seem to get much louder if you turn up more though I didn't push it hard. Otherwise the amp seems to work ok. What is this? Are the tubes on the way out?

You problably know the drill- replace pre-amp tubes one at a time to see if it goes away, then try different power tubes.

Just a guess, but you might check the input jacks inside the amp to see if a connection hasn't got loose. Maybe reverb cables?

As always, if a tube amp gets an issue, always check the tubes first.

If you don't already know, it's OK to check cables and such with your hands, but if you go inside the amp and don't use a bleeder resister for the caps (and even if you do), use a pencil or a pen, something NON-conductive, and use only one hand- even maybe put the other hand in your back pocket.

Not only the tubes, but the small things like filter caps, capacitors etc.. can wear out over time. Do you have a reliable amp tech you can leave it with for some diagnostics?

The reason I mention this, same thing happened to my Marshall it took a while for me really notice it, but once eventually I knew something wasn't quite right.

I got to re-tubed it, they also replaced some capacitors and other small components that just over time, can wear down. when I got my amp back it sounded like it did the day I bought it and it was very quiet again.

Check it out if you can.

/ray

Archived