Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Plate "Zoing" ?

duluthdan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for reference, this seems to be a modern issue. Here is a 1942 SJ

42SJ910braces.jpg

Of course, the bridge bolts are gone, and that overall is probably a good thing.

Best,

-Tom

Yeah, Tom. First thing I did after looking at the new ones was to look at the 39 J55. God only knows if the bridge plate is original, but there Is no extra hole in it.

Rich

• 8 months later...

I joined this forum in hopes to add one final thread to this discussion. In October of 2013, I purchased a Custom Shop AJ that did the EXACT same thing. And while there has been much discussion regarding the b plate indexing hole, allow me to tell you what the real issue is. THE PICKUP, FRIENDS!!! While that trance audio amulet may be expensive and sound decent, direct your attention to those huge "lenses" as trance calls them hanging from the bridge plate. My luthier tried everything to stop the buzz: a perfect setup with bone pins, saddle & nut, adding glue to braces...I was heartsick. Then one day he said to me, "you wanna take that damn pickup out?" I told him to rip it out.

Buzz vanished never to return. So happy. The install on it was shoddy from the beginning. Wires everywhere...and there is so much involved with that system. It sounds ok enough, but at what cost? Hopefully this post will help someone with similar symptoms. And while we know Gibson pays little attention to the finer details involved in the setup and what occurs under the hood, they pay even less attention to their selection of which pickup goes into which guitar...not to mention the install itself. Hope this helps someone somewhere. Pick on! ( o )==#

Mike

Rich - I too have no issues at all with the Trance. Slopey - glad to hear you resolved your "zoing" - I have found that with the passage of time the energized sound has al but disappeared, my Trance is staying in, I gotta have it to plug in. Last summer I had some of the best Luthiers in the world chase that sound, and they all came to the conclusion that it was unique to the energy of this guitar in the lower bout, and that with seasoning, it would probably settle down, and it has.

Dan

Funny you should mention that. I was playing my 39 J55 the other night and when I pinched the B and A strings in a G chord, I think, it sounded out of tune. I checked and the B was right on and the fretted A string was right on, as were all others. Then I noticed when I pinched those two strings my turner indicated G and it was quite sharp.

Funny things go on inside these things! I flattened the B a bit and it got better.

Rich

Archived