Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 Satin finish humidify?

circa58

Today we bought a Gibson ES-335 Satin Finish Electric Guitar Faded Cherry.

What do you clean it with...

The fact that you're asking tells me that you're going to cake very good care of the guitar. I can tell you from experience, unless you're going to be playing live gigs and sweating on it, you may never need to clean or polish the finish, other than wiping it occasionally with a soft cotton cloth. Like a lot of guitar enthusiasts who care about keeping their guitars in great condition, I only play while wearing long sleeves. That's another way to help keep the finish like new.

The strings should be wiped down after each playing session, and the fretboard should be wiped clean regularly.

and does it need to be humidified?

Unless you live in an area with extreme climate changes, no. Carved-top guitars with spruce tops might be more of a concern. Anyway, if you're comfortable in the environment where the guitar is stored, then the guitar will be fine.

The fact that you're asking tells me thhttp://at you're going to cake very good care of the guitar. I can tell you from experience, unless you're going to be playing live gigs and sweating on it, you may never need to clean or polish the finish, other than wiping it occasionally with a soft cotton cloth. Like a lot of guitar enthusiasts who care about keeping their guitars in great condition, I only play while wearing long sleeves. That's another way to help keep the finish like new.

The strings should be wiped down after each playing session, and the fretboard should be wiped clean regularly.

Unless you live in an area with extreme climate changes, no. Carved-top guitars with spruce tops might be more of a concern. Anyway, if you're comfortable in the environment where the guitar is stored, then the guitar will be fine.

Thanks, the goal is to have them look great for many many years.

2992_10200190151093954_1088476426_n.jpg

Not sure about cleaning the satin finish specifically - but would think standard Gibson polish would be fine, or Virtuoso makes a great cleaner and polish as well.

As to humidifying - should not be necessary unless you live up in the mountains, or in a desert where the humidity is extremely low.

You might want to avoid cleaners with polishing compound...nitro satin will start glossing. You can always use naphta (lighter fuel like Ronsonol) for the satin finish and linseed oil (from art store) for the rosewood.

Archived