Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Size: Epi vs. Gibson

CharlieS.

There is an Epiphone Les Paul hanging on my living room wall next to a Gibson. The Epiphone is bigger. I compared the two with another Epi LP. The Epiphones are the same size, but they're both bigger than the Gibson. I ran a tape measure across the widest part of the body and there's about 1/2 inch difference. Is this happening anywhere else or just in my apartment?

I ran a tape measure across the widest part of the body and there's about 1/2 inch difference. Is this happening anywhere else or just in my apartment?

There could be a strange vortex converging in your apartment, not unlike a Bermuda Triangle of guitars. Have you checked with the pyschic hotline?

There could be a strange vortex converging in your apartment, not unlike a Bermuda Triangle of guitars. Have you checked with the pyschic hotline?

I haven't but that's not a bad idea, though I'm a little wary of what I might find out about my own mortality. It's got me wondering if that's just the thickness of the paint and gloss shell that standards get coated with. The Gibson is a Studio with a "worn" finish. I guess that wouldn't explain why there is a 1/4" difference between the fretboards though.

I haven't but that's not a bad idea, though I'm a little wary of what I might find out about my own mortality. It's got me wondering if that's just the thickness of the paint and gloss shell that standards get coated with. The Gibson is a Studio with a "worn" finish. I guess that wouldn't explain why there is a 1/4" difference between the fretboards though.

I have never noticed on mine but I am curious. What were the exact measurements? The nitro finish is thinner but not by that much. The fretboards are 1/4" different?

I have never noticed on mine but I am curious. What were the exact measurements? The nitro finish is thinner but not by that much. The fretboards are 1/4" different?

Alright here are some non-scientific measurements. I used a tape measure and a wooden ruler that I've had since elementary school, no lasers or anything that awesome. The subjects are an Epiphone Standard from 1998 and a Gibson Studio 50's from 2010. These were all taken while completely sober too. Just sayin'...

Widest part of body (I call them the hips): Epi - 13 1/8" Gibson - 12 13/16"

Slimmest part of body (The waist): Epi - 7 1/2" Gibson - 7 1/4"

The second widest part of body (Shoulders): Epi - 9 1/4" Gibson - 9"

Fretboard (No nut, just rosewood): Epi - 18 1/16" Gibson - 18" Not as drastic as my previous post, but still different.

Headstock (Straight down the middle. Again, no nut): Epi - 7" Gibson - 6 7/8"

Body to tip of bout: Epi - 3" Gibson - 2 7/8"

Body length: Epi - 17 1/8" Gibson - 17 1/4" Score one for the Gibby!!!

Nut width: Same thing on both

Archived