Gibson Brands Forums

Carding for 68 Hummingbird

Ben B

Hi there,

Have had my 68 hummingbird for a couple of years and as you would expect it sounds like honey. I've had many guitars but his is my first vintage. A guy told me recently that I should oil the guitar regularly. What sort of oil, how often and how are what I need to know. Is there a site that gives advice. I haven't been able to find one.

Oh yeah and what are the best strings. I've been using Ball 12 but want to be able to bend more easily without losing the lovely tone?

Advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Ben

Not sure what he meant by "oil" the guitar - maybe lemon oil on the fretboard. Otherwise Virtuoso cleaner and polish is great for the body. As to strings we all have our individual favorites, but I am partial to Elixir acoustic strings. The medium gauge (I think they are 10s or 11s) have great body and tone and they last much longer than most other brands. You don't want to go too light on the string gauge on an acoustic or you will loose body of the tone. Enjoy!

There are several parts of an acoustic guitar that might need "oiling". One is the tuning machines, but you only need to worry about those if they start to get stiff or hard to turn. The strings slots in the nut need to be kept clean to keep the strings from binding while you tune them, and there are special lubricants just for this purpose.

The fretboard itself needs to be cleaned and periodically treated with a hydrating liquid--which might be an oil such as lemon oil--on a regular basis, such as every time you change strings.

The body of the guitar should be wiped down with a clean cloth such as soft cotton or microfiber, preferably every time you play. If you play a lot--like every day--you should use a cleaner or polish at least a few times a year to remove skin oils, etc, from the finish. Many of us here use Virtuoso products for this, but there are plenty of other guitar polishes out there. Just make sure that whatever you use does not contain silicone, which contaminates everything it touches.

I just got a '68 Hummingbird also it is my first vintage acoustic. It is antique natural - the guy I bought the guitar from has

martin super light's on it, so I am taking it to a guitar shop to have it checked out and have some mediums put on. I need the

tone! One question, does your HBird have an extremely narrow neck? I will be posting pics in the acoustic section. Would love to

see some pics of your geetar too! :)

Cheers and enjoy your new guitar!

-Alba

Archived