Gibson Brands Forums

Question about upgrading

Erwin

Hey fellas, A couple burstbuckers landed on my lap and thinking about replacing the stock pups on my sg. Anybody knows if it's worth the time? Will it sound better with the bb's on it or leave it stock. I believed it has the 490 R/T. Anybody who has done this kind of upgrade before, can you please advice?

Thanks in advance

Your SG, depending on the year, probably has the 490R/498T as you mention.

But some of them may have had classic 57s which I think is what the Burst Buckers were modeled after.

do you know which ones you wound up with?

BB1, BB2, etc?

I had some BB1s in a 2002 Les Paul Standard,

They were OK but they're no longer in that guitar, if that gives you a hint on how it worked out for me

[cool]

Your SG, depending on the year, probably has the 490R/498T as you mention.

But some of them may have had classic 57s which I think is what the Burst Buckers were modeled after.

do you know which ones you wound up with?

BB1, BB2, etc?

I had some BB1s in a 2002 Les Paul Standard,

They were OK but they're no longer in that guitar, if that gives you a hint on how it worked out for me

[cool]

Honestly, I'm not 100 percent sure if my SG has 490s. It's a limited edition ( colorwise which is silver )and I got it used. Never had the chance to open it up and just researched it a bit on Gibson.com. I have a pair of BB1/2s and the reason why I'm considering is opposite of what you did with your standard lp. I used to have the standard lp with bb's and I really love its sound. I'm just not quite sure if it's going to have the same tone on a SG.

Cheers

Ya man,

Pickups are 100% subject to personal tastes, and of course, it really depends on what you're after tone wise for sure.

but, really what the heck toss em in there, what's the worse that can happen? You'll not like them and you'll put the 400 series back in and waste a few hours noodling with a soldering iron. what's that saying... Nothing ventured... [thumbup]

1366909830[/url]' post='1366621']

Honestly, I'm not 100 percent sure if my SG has 490s. It's a limited edition ( colorwise which is silver )and I got it used. Never had the chance to open it up and just researched it a bit on Gibson.com. I have a pair of BB1/2s and the reason why I'm considering is opposite of what you did with your standard lp. I used to have the standard lp with bb's and I really love its sound. I'm just not quite sure if it's going to have the same tone on a SG.

Cheers

You might find that the same pups will sound a little brighter and have a little less of that Les Paul roar in an SG. That's been my experience. Not to say that is necessarily bad or good, it 's just going to feel a little different. You might find that the guitar will then lend itself to other types of music.

so I've decided to do the upgrade....with the Schecter [laugh] , just a simple trial and found out that it's powered with Di Marzios. Not too bad but the BBs sounds brighter and fatter on it. I'm keeping the SG stock at the moment since when I play it the day before replacing the pups, it sounded so good. It's kinda like getting ready for a haircut and upon looking at the mirror, your hair looks so nice you decided to cancel for another day..

I freaking burned my thumb while soldering though...careless! [cursing]

Thanks for the inputs, fellas! [thumbup]

Archived