Gibson Brands Forums

Satin finish cherry 335 with neck binding

Rob_J

Is Gibson making the 335 satin cherry guitars with neck binding now? They've always had the non-bound necks as far as I've seen, but a local shop has one with a bound neck. Is this just an unusual guitar or do the newer ones now have bound necks?

Thanks, I have since found just a little info indicating that neck binding was added starting in 2011.

What are some general opinions on the satin finishes. Do you guys like them or no? I generally prefer the polished look of a gloss finish, but the satins have a look that sets them apart a bit.

What are some general opinions on the satin finishes. Do you guys like them or no? I generally prefer the polished look of a gloss finish, but the satins have a look that sets them apart a bit.

For me, it just depends on the particular model.

I think many red instruments look particularly good in satin finishes.

The ES-333 had the satin finish and the neck binding but no Holly on the headstock. The Gibson Logo was like that of an ES-330. Hence, at a certain point you could buy the ES-335 satin without neck binding but with the normal logo and Holy or, an ES-333 with neck binding and the less expensive headstock logo. The ES-333 also has the trap door in the back for easy access and the pickups were the 490t pair. The ES-335 satin I think had Busrtbuckers.

The ES-333 was much less expensive than the ES-335 satin and eventually Gibson discontinued the ES-333 and then a couple of years later added neck binding to the ES-335 satin.

I am one of those who feel that if you are buying a Gibson, the neck binding with nibs is essential so, I went for the ES-333 and with the money I saved I replaced the pickups with a Classic 57 set with push pull. I really wanted to buy the ES-335 satin and in the store it did sound very nice but I could never get used to the unbound neck. It felt like I was playing one of my Start's or an Epiphone Dot. Today, I love my ES-333 and am glad I bought it. I am not wanting for the more expensive logo design and Holly and the neck is pure #E-335.

If I was buying today, I would not hesitate to buy the ES-335 Satin with the neck binding. I actually love the satin finish on my red ES-333...

Does anyone have any experience with buffing out a satin finish to a semi-gloss? I did this with a 50's Tribute Les Paul and it came out great but I'm not sure if the satin finish on the 335 is the same as that on the Tribute Les Paul. The reason I ask is that many have noted that as a satin finish gets played it begins to look blotchy where the arm rubs against the guitar body and you end up with areas of gloss and areas of satin. I can't imagine that being a "good look".

If you HAVE polished or buffed a satin finish, what did you use on it? I also wonder if messing with the finish would void any Gibson warranties in place.

Archived