Gibson Brands Forums

2013 SG Standard vs. Original Necks

freddairy

2013 SG Standard Neck slim ’60s profile that measures .800” at the 1st fret and .875” at the 12th.

2013 SG Original slim ’60s SG profile that measures .800” deep at the 1st fret and .890” at the 12th.

So did Gibson actually spec two different necks for these guitars?

Yes, according to their web site, they are just a bit different! However, necks are more or less,

"hand made," sanded and finished. They all vary, somewhat! I would suspect, that they're

"within tolerances," according to Gibson.

The reason I say "within tolerances," is because I own several Gibson's, include 2 SG's with

'60's profile necks. They're all "to spec," but NONE of them, are exactly the same! They're

all great players, though, and I own guitars with all kinds of neck shapes, from "fat" as in

my (Gibson Lucille), to much thinner...all my Richenbackers. And, just about everthing

"in-between!" I've never had any trouble going from one to another. The only thing that

sometimes happens, when going from a Les Paul, to the SG...I have ended up, about 2 frets

higher, than I wanted to be, because of the perceived neck length difference. It's only perceived,

visually, as it's exactly the same length, and scale. That's been my only occasional mishap. [biggrin]

CB

2013 SG Standard Neck slim ’60s profile that measures .800” at the 1st fret and .875” at the 12th.

2013 SG Original slim ’60s SG profile that measures .800” deep at the 1st fret and .890” at the 12th.

So did Gibson actually spec two different necks for these guitars?

.015", for your reference, is about the same thickness as the nitro finish on the SG. I wouldn't be surprised if they built one, measured it, and called that one the spec.

Archived