Gibson Brands Forums

identifying Vintage Gibson

Zeus2013

Hello,

First time here. I have a Gibson handed down to me that I need identifying.

Serial # inside is 3742-28

My investigation has it at a 1949 300c but have no idea if im even in ballpark

Images attached.

Thanks in advance!

post-56886-015871900 1368566961_thumb.gif

post-56886-085541000 1368567255_thumb.gif

Welcome to the forum. At first glance, it is hard for me to tell by the pictures provided. A closer pic of the body alone would help..... as well as some measurements of the lower bout(width) to help you out, The number that you provided does not help in determining the model of the guitar.It does not appear as an ES-300 from what I see,however. Rod

The FON (without a "letter code") is useless in dating this instrument, except for the fact that right after the "war years" (WWII) Gibson used this all number system for a few years from about '49-'51. The logo with the "i" dot attached to the "G" is also a late '40's trait.

This is obviously NOT an "ES" guitar, as "ES" stands for "Electric Spanish", and the guitar pictured has no pickup. This is a lower end L-Series guitar, and the proportions from the photo look to be a 16" model. The L-50 was the 16" "student" model of that era. The long pickguard and dot neck would also be proper for the above time frame as the L-50 changed to the shorter guard and trapezoidal markers sometime in the early 50's.

I would say you have a '49-'51 L-50.

Guitar Center said its a 1948 L48

Does anybody have a value? They said its in great condition. Checked for cracks and none.

I'd actually like to sell.

It is an L-48 from either 1948 or 1950. There is some FON (the number inside) ambiguity between 1948 and 1950 in the 3600-3700 factory order number range. This is the entry-level Gibson archtop in that period. In really good condition it might be worth $600-800 or so at most these days, as there is little market for acoustic archtops.

Archived