Gibson Brands Forums

Songwriter Deluxe Strap Button??

chapelheels23

Whats up y'all? I just bought my first Gibson yesterday. I got a Songwriter Deluxe acoustic-electric cutaway. I've played a Martin DC16 rgte, and a Taylor 314 the last few years, and this Gibson, to me, sounds better than both of them. However as much as I loved this guitar, I almost didnt buy it because it didnt have the strap button on it. I thought oh no, I dont wanna have someone install something on a brand new guitar. I stand, and move around alot and stuff when I play so the ones that clip down around the head stock, I hate those. Any of y'all had a strap button installed on a songwriter deluxe. Theres a Gibson Repair and Restoration place here in Nashville, so Im sure they could do it correctly. Just lookin for some thoughts. But again, Gibson is now my favorite guitar brand!!

Don't help this guy; he might be a UNC fan. :-)

Seriously though, heels, what djeffcoat said. Also, if you Search the forum you'll find forum members have posted pictures and advice to have a luthier do it, just in case. This is a subject that comes up often because Gibsons don't have the neck-side strap button. They leave that option to the buyer, because some folks don't want one and would rather not have it there.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and congrats on the guitar!

+1 with Honky and djeff - I just had my strap button put on my SJ200 on treble side of neck, too. More balance, more support, and your guitar stays put. If you put your strap button directly into the heel cap your guitar tends to lean forward too much and always feels a bit wobbly. Always have a luthier do it if you're not comfortable with the process.

Yeah, congrats on the new guitar!

Hey another SWD player. Welcome CH23. I use a leather strap which wraps around the headstock and has a wooden toggle which inserts into the slot in the strap. (It's very hard to describe this without sounding like a danger to the public!)

I like the balance of this arrangement but I will have a button attached at the heel - this seems to be the preferred option for most people it seems. It's a mystery why Gibson don't just put one on as standard. I can understand it with the J45 and SJ200 TV et al but the SWD is made to be an allround workhorse, and doesn't have the "heritage" of the elder statesmen models, so why not have one as standard?

Congrats on the new guitar. I love mine and hope you have years of pleasure with her.

Standard requirements for new purchases:

1. Pictures.

2. First song played.(Tradition of an absent friend)

Archived