Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sheraton

erik1930

Thanks Cyphre! [thumbup]

I was just curious as to how they are regarded in terms of rarity and quality. I have checked on the guitar dater and I know it was made in Korea in 1980. It does seem to be of a better quality than the newer versions. Also, I hadn't seen one previously with the particular headstock, i. e. with Gibson identified that way. To be honest, I have been thinking of selling it and this was part of my reason for wanting to know more.

What sort of information, other than the fact that I would like to have it or one just like it?

This is what I could find on the Epiphone Wiki:

1986-1988 "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheraton II

Model ETS2

1986-Current

Alnico Classic Humbucker pickups

Semi-hollow laminated maple body & top

Mahogany center block

5-ply body, neck, pickguard & headstock binding

Set maple neck with SlimTaper "C" profile

Rosewood fingerboard with V-block inlays

12" fingerboard radius

22 medium-jumbo frets

Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece

Elevated tortoise pickguard with "E" emblem

Grover tuners

Gold bell knobs

Gold hardware

2 Vol. 2 Tone controls

3-way selector switch

24.75" scale

1.68" nut width

Neck:

5-piece maple/walnut neck 1986-2007

Headstock Inlay:

"Epiphone By Gibson" 1986-1988

Now I am confused! According to guitar dater, my epiphone is 1980, but according to Epiphone Wiki, it is 1986-1988. Is there a way to see which is correct? Obviously, I have the serial number, but not sure if I should post it here or not.

By the way, I should have said that the information you gave me was very comprehensive!

Thanks again Cyphre!

Model ETS2

1986-Current

Mahogany center block

12" fingerboard radius

22 medium-jumbo frets

Grover tuners

Gold bell knobs

Gold hardware

2 Vol. 2 Tone controls

3-way selector switch

24.75" scale

1.68" nut width

Neck:

Maple neck with scarf-joint 2008-Current

Headstock Inlay:

I would really like to swap it for a sunrise orange Swingster which I really fancy!!

Model ETS2

1986-Current

Mahogany center block

12" fingerboard radius

22 medium-jumbo frets

Grover tuners

Gold bell knobs

Gold hardware

2 Vol. 2 Tone controls

3-way selector switch

24.75" scale

1.68" nut width

Neck:

Headstock Inlay:

That's where I got my original information from, i.e.

"Your guitar was made in

Korea

November c.1980

Production Number: 02xx".

My serial number is a sticker on the reverse of the headstock, which looks authentic. There is also another sticker on the guitar back which identifies the colour as VSB. See the attached picture.

Did you try HERE ...?

post-56049-043028800 1369431218_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the information. There is no preceeding letter with the serial number. Should there be?

Thanks.

Nice Sheraton II

Guitar (mis)Dater is incorrect about 40% of the time.

the letter is mfg. plant designation,

the ser.# is yearyear/monthmonth/prod#

meaning I86103214 would be Oct '86 prod# 3214

Thanks to you all for the information. From what I have seen, you people were right all along!! It seems to be a 1986-88 Epihone Sheraton II with vintage tobacco sunburst. Now I need to try and sell or exchange it for something a little more rockabilly. Any suggestions? I haven't really got much of a budget which is why I want to sell or swap the Sheraton. [thumbup]

Good info....

the creators of the "unofficial Epiphone-Wiki" like it more with the link...

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Sheraton#Sheraton_II

B)

Hi Stella,

You are right! I bought mine from Riviera Guitars a few months ago and used the pictures from ebay. Just to prove it is mine, here's a few photos of me and the guitar just now. I had hoped that I wouldn't have to show my ugly mug, but I wouldn't want you to think I am not genuine. [smile]

20130528_204135.jpg

20130528_204024.jpg

20130528_203733.jpg

20130528_203721.jpg

I hope this is okay,

Cheers,

Erik.

your photographs are remarkably similar to item #171047211191 for sale on ebay.co.uk

Hi Stella,

I am a new Member here and excuse me for saying so, but I find your continued line of questioning to be quite tiring - I feel that you are challenging my integrity! Is that the case?

Will you please note that the ebay pictures originally posted by me were of a guitar that I bought and is now in my possession. (The advert you referred to is for another guitar that was photographed in exactly the same way, but it is not my guitar). Just so that you can check up on me, because that is what you seem to be doing, the item and listing for my guitar (sale) is here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ .... subsequently deleted ....... for privacy purposes.

The item number in my sale was 171020966183.

Please check this out, contact the seller, Riviera Guitars if you like, and then let me know when you are satisfied.

With regards to the questions in my post, some of which I did know the answer to, it was a way of getting a discussion going and just trying to be part of a forum that interests me! I did not realise that my integrity was going to be brought into question!

I have to say that I am also a member of the Gretsch Forum and find that a far more friendly place. (I just want to add that the majority of my discussions with other Members have been great and they were very helpful). Now I am not sure how things are in Canada, but around my way, people are very honest, trusting and welcoming.

Regards,

Erik.

thanks Erik, very nice photos [thumbup]

but don't you think it strange that your guitar is up for sale right now on eBay.co.uk by the same people you said you bought it from a few months ago ?? & that you used the photos from that eBay listing here to ask questions about your "New" guitar which are already answered by information contained in that eBay listing ??

It just doesn't feel that way at the moment!

Erik, this forum is a friendly place & Canada is too. My question was sincere, not intended to offend. You have a wonderful guitar !!

Erik......the concern may be that someone else has borrowed your photo (from your host acct.) and is using it to attempt to either sell another guitar, or to rip someone off.

about 3 yrs ago another member here notified me that a pic of MY guitar was being used by someone on Craigslist 1000 miles away from me, trying to sell a guitar....I contacted the "seller" and asked them to take MY pic down & the response was "sure, already been paid 2x for an imaginary guitar".

We try to look out for each other here... [thumbup]

Thanks for the information Bender. :)

Erik......the concern may be that someone else has borrowed your photo (from your host acct.) and is using it to attempt to either sell another guitar, or to rip someone off.

about 3 yrs ago another member here notified me that a pic of MY guitar was being used by someone on Craigslist 1000 miles away from me, trying to sell a guitar....I contacted the "seller" and asked them to take MY pic down & the response was "sure, already been paid 2x for an imaginary guitar".

Hi Bender, sorry to bother you again, but I have amended the earlier post by me where I included the ebay link to my guitar for privacy reasons, not for anything else. Hope that people understand why I did this. [thumbup]

Archived