Gibson Brands Forums

Strange Test Drive

Joe M

One of my local shops just became a 5 star Gibson dealer. Stopped in the beginning of the week to see and play what he had in stock. Hanging on the wall were: Keb Mo, J35, J45, J45 Custom, J45TV, Hummingbird, J185, J200. So, one by one, I pulled each one down and played them for a while. I know that hearing what you think is "best" is very subjective, but I found that, to me, the best sounding guitar of the whole bunch was the plain J45, followed closely by the J35. I really wanted to like the Custom and the TV but neither one did it for me. Compared to the regular J45 they both seemed to lack the punch and clarity. The one thing that really struck me as odd is that every one of the guitars I played, except the J35, had a sitar-like sounding B string which really puzzled me. I know that that can be corrected fairly easily but is Gibson's setup from the factory that goofed up?

The owner says he's got a few other models on order and should be receiving them soon. Didn't ask him what they were, but I'm looking forward to the next shipment so I can go play some more.

The one thing that really struck me as odd is that every one of the guitars I played, except the J35, had a sitar-like sounding B string which really puzzled me. I know that that can be corrected fairly easily but is Gibson's setup from the factory that goofed up?

Not quite sure exactly what you are talking about, but the B string typically has highly resonant overtones that give it a "ringing" sound on most good guitars. You can hear it develop as you tune to pitch.

Maybe Tom Barnwell could enlighten us a bit on this. We tend to think of him as a guitar collector and bluegrass player, but I believe he has a Phd in electrical/acoustical engineering from MIT, so he's more than "just" one of the world's experts on vintage Gibsons/Martins and their tonal characteristics.

As far as trying guitars in stores, it has been both confusing and rewarding to for me. I started this journey wanting a J45 or a J45TV. Having never played either I went to a Five Star Dealer and played both. I also played an Advanced Jumbo. I came home with the AJ. The J45s were very nice, but on that day to my ear (and a friend's too) the AJ was the winner. I still wanted a J45 so since I needed a guitar I could plug in, I went back a few months later and tried a J45 Purevoice. It was nice but I made the mistake of playing a SCSJ. That one came home with me. All those other guitars got sold pretty quick to other people who loved them.

So the good news is I'm still hunting for that J45 and after all, it is the thrill of the hunt.

And Joe, I agree. Later when I was at the same shop I played a J35 and a standard J45 and liked the J45 a little better......but that was right after the SCSJ purchase so in the interest of domestic harmony they both stayed on the wall. [biggrin]

Rich

Archived