Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson explorer or Epi Zakk Wylde?

jbailes

Good people, forgive me for what obviously sounds like a no-brainer, but here's the situation: I have the opportunity here to either pick up a gibby explorer (new and stock), which I've never owned an explorer before. Or an Epi ZW LP (EMG loaded) which I have owned before. Here's the pickle: Both have awesome playability. I would, however, change the pups on the explorer to the EMG HetSet, so that takes us up over twice the price of the Epi ZW, which already has EMGs installed. My last Epi Zakk seemed to have a bit of a thin neck, and didn't seem like it was made all that well (a 2002 model). But man, it had the most crushing sound of any guitar I've ever owned! This one, however, has a big baseball bat neck, which I like, and has much better QC going on. As you've guessed I'm sure, I'm both a fan of BLS and 'Tallica. If it were your choice, which would it be?

post-57491-065305900 1371252758_thumb.jpg

if you have the coin, then the Explorer is the obvious choice if you want a geet that retains its' value. but, does it feel as good to play as the ZW ??

personally, i'd grab whichever one "speaks" to you more after test driving both.....

I never choose guitars because of the pickups that they come with.

Each and every guitar feels different even within the same brand an model type. I,m with bender, you have to play 'em till you find one that talks to you.

Pickups, electronics and hardware can all be easily Changed.

Archived