Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard 2013 Problems 'Resolved'

Gibson For Life

Lucky guy ... Germany's largest Gibson dealer ... too far away for me.

To be honest (and more precise), I am going to travel to Thomann at Treppendorf from a distant small city in Turkey, primarily for buying a good true Gibson Les Paul. (I got two more reasons: Thomann is cheaper (and I don't want to pay the VAT and other taxes for the Turkish government); and there are much more choices and services at that greater music store.) I waited long and hardly saved for this travel.

I hope I may manage to get a good guitar.

:)

To be honest (and more precise), I am going to travel to Thomann at Treppendorf from a distant small city in Turkey, primarily for buying a good true Gibson Les Paul.

Then contact Thomann by mail first, because such large shops usually don't have everything in showrooms, but most goods only in a large storage hall. Tell them, what you're interested in and ask them to arrange showroom availability!

Picked up a 2013 Standard Honey Burst today, and have a couple of concerns...

1. No pickguard supplied... Is this normal?

2. Coil tapping for splitting pickups doesn't seem to work.

(Out of phase & bypass are ok)

3. Volume control only kicks in around 7 up.

I've notified the store, but can't get back there for a couple of days.

All other aspects of the guitar itself 'Looks & feel' are spot on.

I fear having to swap it for another or have to wait for repairs.

Anyone else having any of these problems?

Cheers...

My 2013 came with no pickguard, my thought is when I purchase a LP with a beautiful top I want to see all of the top and dependent on one's playing style a pickguard may not be needed or some like the look of a well worn guitar [biggrin]

... my thought is when I purchase a LP with a beautiful top I want to see all of the top ...

That's why I was totally angry, that the pickguard is pre-installed on the Signature T ... most of them, incl. mine, have stunning tops. And I hate the holes left by removed pickguards :-(

I myself always wondered, why some people need a pickguard on a LP ... I don't need it even when I shredder ... though I'm more the picking guy. For myself the PG is just cosmetic.

Then contact Thomann by mail first, because such large shops usually don't have everything in showrooms, but most goods only in a large storage hall. Tell them, what you're interested in and ask them to arrange showroom availability!

Thanks mate. I'll do that.

I read that at the review of Premier Guitar

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/Sep/Gibson_Les_Paul_Standard_Electric_Guitar_Review.aspx

and at the Gibson Les Paul Standard 2013's page by some commentors.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

I am asking that because I may force my budget to save some more money to purchase a Standard 2013 next month instead of a Traditional, Tradititional Pro-II or a Signature T.

That Premier Guitar link is to a review of a 2012 Standard.

The OP is about a 2013 Standard.

That Premier Guitar link is to a review of a 2012 Standard.

The OP is about a 2013 Standard.

Ex-act-ly!

I could hardly find a review concerning the 2013 Standard. And... Nearly everyone says/writes the 2013 only has different top options (the AA, the AAA Standard Premium Plus top or the Koa top) than the 2012 Standard. So... This means they are almost identical. So... Their good and bad qualities, the pluses and the minuses are identical as well.

According to my personal opinion, beauty is significant. But tone, versatility and reliability are more significant.

According to my personal opinion, beauty is significant. But tone, versatility and reliability are more significant.

Correct and here the Standard is the big looser ... from my experience: I tested two Signature T's, a Traditional and two Standards in a shop, one of them a Plus model. And the SigT's and the Trad showed much better craftsmanship. And they aren't less beautiful ... especially the SigT has often that nice looking tops, that I was astonished, that it's AA grade instead of AAA.

I my opinion ... depending on which neck one prefers ... the SigT and Trad are the best bang for the buck. A Custom might be even better, but that's nearly double the price!

Correct and here the Standard is the big looser ... from my experience: I tested two Signature T's, a Traditional and two Standards in a shop, one of them a Plus model. And the SigT's and the Trad showed much better craftsmanship. And they aren't less beautiful ... especially the SigT has often that nice looking tops, that I was astonished, that it's AA grade instead of AAA.

I my opinion ... depending on which neck one prefers ... the SigT and Trad are the best bang for the buck. A Custom might be even better, but that's nearly double the price!

Sincerely thanks mate. I'll follow your advices.

Sincerely thanks mate.

No problem ... one further hint:

The Traditional and the SigT both have 57 Classic pickups, which I really love, because they fit every music style from Jazz up to Metal. But not everybody likes them that much, so the Standard might be an alternative regarding pickup choice ... depending on your taste of sound. On the other hand, if you have a Trad or SigT, which might have better craftsmanship, you might change the pickups later, e.g. if your taste changes.

BTW ... if you want to come to Germany by plane, it might be worth a thought, to come to Cologne and buy from Music Store instead of Thomann. If you come by car, Thomann is the shorter travel.

My friend, what do you think about the Traditional Pro II's?

I think, currently the Signature, Traditional and Trad. Pro II are the best bang for the buck. Which of them suites you best mainly depends on which kind of neck you prefer, the thick 50s or the thinner 60s. In my opinion the 60s neck plays much faster, but some people prefer 50s necks nevertheless. I think, it depends to which neck you became familiar with in the past.

Besides the neck the only main difference is the look of the tuners (classic tulip versus chrome) and if the pickups are covered or not, but that can be changed ... open coil pickups (without covers) have more bite and distort earlier.

I highly recommend comparing and playing all three ... and a Standard too. And I bet, you'll choose a SigT or one of the Trad's ... I'm curious, if I'm right [rolleyes]

PS: No matter, which one you will ever choose, make shure you buy the one, you tested & played ... it seems, Gibson has a little quality control inconsistancy currently, so there are several out there, that are worse than their "sisters". At least this is my experience.

And I bet, you'll choose a SigT or one of the Trad's ... I'm curious, if I'm right [rolleyes]

[biggrin]

True.

After the positive reviews I read here, and other places in the Internet, I am now more inclined to Signature T's. (And yes, I wrote to Thomann for preparing a number of guitars ready in shop.) And I'll try them there, myself.

Thanks a lot.

[thumbup]

Archived