Gibson Brands Forums

Finish Checking on Headstock of L-00

eds111

I took out my L-00 Blues King the other day and noticed four white/silver spots on the head stock. Upon examination I can see that checking has occured.

At these four spots the checking is bad enough that it appears that the finish is lifting enough to let air in causing these white spots.

My guitar hasn't left the house in three weeks, nor has it ever been out of the case outside or in extreme temperatures. I have Planet Waves humdifiers in the case and two house humidifiers in my 850 sf apartment. I maintain 40% relative humidity.

I have heard Gibsons are prone to checking. The checking itself does not bother my that much (mojo, eh) but the spots are not tool cool.

The guitar is a 2004; I live in Clevaland, Ohio.

Has anyone experienced this?

I've not experienced the spots as you have described but I had a J-60 that developed some finish checking on the face side of the Headstock. I'm very new to Gibson's but I have heard about finish checking issues associated with them.

"Check" out the finish checking on this headstock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-L-20-Acoustic-Rosewood-Baggs-pickup-Very-Rare_W0QQitemZ200289799437QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item200289799437&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A4%7C294%3A50

I have a '95 SJ 45 Deluxe that has a two piece, v-shaped, hog neck with a thin center strip. It's showing what you described on the center strip of the neck. It's around the 2nd fret and is about 1/4" long. It also has something like that on the back center strip, right near the butt end of the body. I noticed it about 7-8 years ago and it hasn't changed.

My Smeck has developed a few whitish spots here & there- all spontaneous, all when properly stored & humdified. It has checking on the HS, but had that when I got it. Other Gibsons I've had just developed these finish blemishes, seemingly on their own. None of my other brands do. I've given up worrying about finish integrity on my Gibsons.

Archived