Gibson Brands Forums

I have a new wine red 'Les Paul Studio' coming in morning!

Country-Rocker

Hi All,

I am coming back to Gibson after a dry period. In the morning I have a brand new 'Les Paul Studio' in wine red (cream pickguard, etc...) coming from Guildford here in the UK. I really missed by old Les Paul(long story)and I am glad to be having one again. I used to have a standard, but I think I perfer these nowadays. I really like the coil spilt they are doing on these now as I think some of the settings really kick the tone up in a unique way.

Can anyone here offer a link on how to properly use the four knobs and the coil split option? I must admit that I have never truly been able to work the best settings out to optimize the beautiful tone of these guitars.

Thanks to all and it is good to be a Gibson owner again!

Freddie

Hi Freddy!

Can anyone here offer a link on how to properly use the four knobs and the coil split option?

That's easily explained: The volume knobs can be pulled to switch each pickup to single coil mode, which gives a more Gretsch / Fender like tone. With the toggle switch in middle position you can use only one pickup in single coil mode and the other in humbucker mode, if you like. In both modes you can adjust the tone control additionally, so you have lots of possible sounds to experiment with.

I must admit that I have never truly been able to work the best settings out to

optimize the beautiful tone of these guitars.

You need to experiment to find the settings, that YOU like ... it's a matter of taste.

And you might find THIS (<- click) helpful.

PS: Wine Red rocks [thumbup]

Can anyone here offer a link on how to properly use the four knobs and the coil split option?

Freddie

I thought the wine red looked awful with the cream bits on in every picture I'd seen and was cursing that I couldn't get one off the shelf with black plastics, gold hardware and MinETune.

Anyway it turns out I'm just completely two faced coz I picked up mine up this afternoon. Wine Red, no gold, no tuner just pure volume and £150 cheaper than last month haha!

As others have stated just mess with the taps till you find a place you like and make notes! Make sure you're in a time and place where you can crank it up though.

I didn't get to play till after 2100hrs tonight and everything had to be turned so low that the tonal changes were barely audible.

Hope you enjoy the new investment!

Stix

I didn't get to play till after 2100hrs tonight and everything had to be turned so low that the tonal changes were barely audible.

I found a nice cheap solution for that problem ... I bought a Line 6 Pocket Pod and use it with my nice Beyerdynamic HiFi headphones. Now I can rock as long as I like without disturbing anybody.

Highly recommended !!!

I really like the cream parts on this colour and it was one of the things that sold me on it. The sound and action performance are 150% nothing short of awesome. I love all of the colours used in this axe as it gives it a Mr Mojo kinda vibe. I am playing through my Fender Mustang 1 x 12 amp and I have to look twice sometimes to remind myself it isn't a valve amp. Right guitar with right amp to me override anything the experts or critics say..... must be Standard zzzz...must be valve...zzz..... I had a Standard ('95) and this guitar is far superior to that one as even my wife said "That is the best sounding electric guitar you have ever owned, plus it is a real beauty'. Well done Gibson!!!!!

My ginger twins here... Martin 000-15M in this one too!

Have a good one all,

Freddie

Archived