Gibson Brands Forums

Muffling my Acoustic.

20_Gauge

Hey y'all, I think I've asked this question in one of my earlier threads but I can't remember.

How could/can I muffle the sound that comes out of my EJ?

So I can practice at night(or whenever other people are in the house) w/o tickin' everybody off.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hey there Guage! You can usually help to tone down the guitar volume by temporarily "Modulating your attack"....to a lower level...that is learning to strike the strings much lighter than normal, to produce all the sames tones and notes and chords but much quieter. This is something that sometimes has to be practiced, because we usually learn to strike the strings with the specific pressure and angle that we happen to like to produce a full sound. Learning to strike much lighter, much more delicately, will produce a quieter sound. Also if you use a pick, go to a light guage pick, or a light guage nylon pick, which usually helps to produce a lighter sound, and is softer. Some guitars are louder than others and your EJ is a Jumbo sized guitar, and it likes to produce full volume unless you learn to harness it by modulation of attack. A smaller bodied guitar would help as well, but minus that option, modulation of attack and a lighter pick can help. Good luck!

Hey there Guage! You can usually help to tone down the guitar volume by temporarily "Modulating your attack"....to a lower level...that is learning to strike the strings much lighter than normal, to produce all the sames tones and notes and chords but much quieter. This is something that sometimes has to be practiced, because we usually learn to strike the strings with the specific pressure and angle that we happen to like to produce a full sound. Learning to strike much lighter, much more delicately, will produce a quieter sound. Also if you use a pick, go to a light guage pick, or a light guage nylon pick, which usually helps to produce a lighter sound, and is softer. Some guitars are louder than others and your EJ is a Jumbo sized guitar, and it likes to produce full volume unless you learn to harness it by modulation of attack. A smaller bodied guitar would help as well, but minus that option, modulation of attack and a lighter pick can help. Good luck!

Ok cool, thanks GL! [thumbup]

Not really that worried about getting the same tone or note 'cause when I pick it up at night I'm usually just practicin' my finger placement & chord shapes but will do the occasional strummin'(& pickin') & that's when I want it muffled.

I do got a set of Gibson light picks I got when I 1st got my guitar. I don't use'em much anymore, mainly use my Dunlop .73's but I'll try the light ones.

Yeah, my EJ produces a pretty good sound(I can see how it could be aggravating to others at night haha).

I was also thinkin' tryin' somethin' like this soundhole cover(http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ScreechHalt/). Seems to me that cover the hole up would "silence" it, wouldn't it?

I'll try using the light pick tonight when I'm sittin' around watchin' TV.

The product you reference is for amplified feedback reduction, and would have minimal affect on the "muffling" your looking for, other than to make your guitar sound constipated. The sound of an acoustic instrument comes from the top vibrating, not from the air coming out the hole.

Legend has it that Wes Montgomery developed his right thumb technique as a necessity while practicing late at night so as not to disturb the neighbors (or wife/kids, whatever).

For me, an unplugged electric solid body is my quiet practice instrument. Something else I remember from my youth is that I once had a "felt" pick. It was made of hard felt, a little larger in size than a standard pick, and about 1/4" thick. I wonder if they are still available.

Ok cool, thanks GL! [thumbup]

Not really that worried about getting the same tone or note 'cause when I pick it up at night I'm usually just practicin' my finger placement & chord shapes but will do the occasional strummin'(& pickin') & that's when I want it muffled.

I do got a set of Gibson light picks I got when I 1st got my guitar. I don't use'em much anymore, mainly use my Dunlop .73's but I'll try the light ones.

Yeah, my EJ produces a pretty good sound(I can see how it could be aggravating to others at night haha).

I was also thinkin' tryin' somethin' like this soundhole cover(http://www.sweetwate...il/ScreechHalt/). Seems to me that cover the hole up would "silence" it, wouldn't it?

I'll try using the light pick tonight when I'm sittin' around watchin' TV.

L5Larry is right about the sound hole block. Won't work that good. Because much of the sound comes from the top and body of the guitar vibrating, and the sound comes right through the wood! Remember light pick..with a lighter, perhaps much lighter strike attack on the strings...touch them, brush them , and pick them lightly...try to see just how light you can strike those strings and still make quiet sounds, that sounds good, but quietly!

The product you reference is for amplified feedback reduction, and would have minimal affect on the "muffling" your looking for, other than to make your guitar sound constipated. The sound of an acoustic instrument comes from the top vibrating, not from the air coming out the hole.

Legend has it that Wes Montgomery developed his right thumb technique as a necessity while practicing late at night so as not to disturb the neighbors (or wife/kids, whatever).

For me, an unplugged electric solid body is my quiet practice instrument. Something else I remember from my youth is that I once had a "felt" pick. It was made of hard felt, a little larger in size than a standard pick, and about 1/4" thick. I wonder if they are still available.

Thanks for the reply, L5! [thumbup]

Now that I think about it, I remember someone else(in this forum) tellin' me the same thing when I asked about this the awhile ago.

Hmm, I'll hafta search & see if I can find his technique.

Yeah same here, my unplugged LP Jr(or my Dot when I have it with me) has been my quiet guitar(s) for late night practicing.

Hmm a felt pick, never heard of'em but will look around. If for any other reason, the novelty of'em.

L5Larry is right about the sound hole block. Won't work that good. Because much of the sound comes from the top and body of the guitar vibrating, and the sound comes right through the wood! Remember light pick..with a lighter, perhaps much lighter strike attack on the strings...touch them, brush them , and pick them lightly...try to see just how light you can strike those strings and still make quiet sounds, that sounds good, but quietly!

Tried the light pick last night & I came to the conclusion that I gotta big-time lighten up on my striking 'cause I was still makin' a big sound.

Prob'ly just stick w/ my unplugged Electrics for late night practicin', just wanted to see if/how I could play my EJ "quieter".

Yes to an unplugged electric, especially for you the Dot because it's closer in size.

Still... even a solidbody unamped can drive some folks nuts, and can carry more than one might imagine.

Larry... ain't seen one of those felt picks in decades. Dunno if they're still around, but I seem to recall that a lot of the jazz guys supposedly were using them.

m

Larry...

Interesting!

I think I remember them a bit more like a good hat felt, but as though two layers were glued together to give more rigidity.

Never used 'em myself except trying one out in a music store in Des Moines.

A long time ago.

m

I think I remember them a bit more like a good hat felt, but as though two layers were glued together to give more rigidity.

After I mentioned the felt pick thing I did a little surfing. It seems they are mostly advertised as "Uke Picks".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Felt-Ukulele-Picks-smaller-and-softer-Felt-Pick-also-great-for-bass-/171058461240?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27d3e0fa38

This would explain why I had one, since the instrument I learned on as a kid was a baritone uke.

Makes sense...

But the uke picks I remember from the '50s were awfully soft and even "floppy" compared to what I remembered as "jazz guitar picks." Interesting... Interesting.

m

In theory, nothing. Jazz players tend to be like any others: They pay their money and take their choice.

Heck, jazz legend Joe Pass could flatpick with the best of 'em, but at a certain point it was fingerpicking with no picks at all.

m

In theory, nothing. Jazz players tend to be like any others: They pay their money and take their choice.

Heck, jazz legend Joe Pass could flatpick with the best of 'em, but at a certain point it was fingerpicking with no picks at all.

m

hmm, ok. Was just curious. I figured there couldn't be a huge diferrence, if any, I mean c'mon it's just a guitar pick. [laugh]

You can say "it's just a guitar pick," but you gotta realize that to some folks, that's literally part of their instrument.

m

I get that. As I develop in my playing, ther's a good chance I might become that way.

I was just thinkin' 'bout the bare-bones essentials of the pick, how many ways could ya make a pick.

Archived