Gibson Brands Forums

VHT Special 6

feldkeen4

My VHT special 6 amp sounded like it went into melt down mode yesterday. every few minutes it would crackle and make a tonk tonk tonk tonk tonk noise. Even with no instrument plugged in. Turning the volume down would stop the noise. So I read if the volume affects the noise it should be the preamp section. I went and got a Sovtek 12AX7WA preamp tube yesterday morning and haven't heard the noise since.

I've only had it a few months. Every review on the amp seems to be positive, except for the (no name Chinese tubes). Seems like a bad business practice to use crappy tubes.

I guess the price of the amp probably is affected by the materials being used on the amp. . A preamp tube and power tube swap for that matter probably are an improvement in reliability and sound. If I'm right it's a handwired 6 watt for around 200 bucks.

Other than the tube issue, how do you like the amp?

I played one when I bought my Laney Cub.......it sounded good......thinking about adding another small amp to go with my laney and wondered what you though of it having owned one for a bit?

NHTom

I have the head version of the Special 6 Ultra. It's a great amp for the $. [thumbup] I don't really like the Ultra gain channel, but I can get some great tones out of the regular channel. Naturally I replaced the Chinese tubes as soon as I got it. [biggrin]

Archived