Gibson Brands Forums

String Tension ?

trapezoid

If my bass is unplayed for an extended period (more than a week), i'll loosen all the strings. Question is how loose to go before the truss rod has a negative effect on bass' neck without tension from the strings? I'd welcome any advice. [thumbup] Thanks, Kevin

If my bass is unplayed for an extended period (more than a week), i'll loosen all the strings. Question is how loose to go before the truss rod has a negative effect on bass' neck without tension from the strings? I'd welcome any advice. [thumbup] Thanks, Kevin

Don't loosen the strings. The bass is designed (and the truss rod is set up) to be under full in-tune tension all the time. There is no realized benefit from loosening them.

I've found that after several weeks of being idle the strings are more of a variable and usually go a bit sharp - I just retune and make any minor adjustments to the action if necessary. On some basses the neck may need a truss tweak because of reaction to temperature and or humidity. Again, I'm talking about weeks of not being played. These reactions are normal and no cause for concern.

On the other hand I have a 1970 Telecaster bass neck that's always been strung up in tune and hasn't needed an adjustment in 40 years.

Don't loosen the strings. The bass is designed (and the truss rod is set up) to be under full in-tune tension all the time. There is no realized benefit from loosening them.

I've found that after several weeks of being idle the strings are more of a variable and usually go a bit sharp - I just retune and make any minor adjustments to the action if necessary. On some basses the neck may need a truss tweak because of reaction to temperature and or humidity. Again, I'm talking about weeks of not being played. These reactions are normal and no cause for concern.

On the other hand I have a 1970 Telecaster bass neck that's always been strung up in tune and hasn't needed an adjustment in 40 years.

Thank you, Bassilisk [thumbup] That makes sense. I was concerned of neck bowing over time from the tension. You've put my mind at ease. :)

Archived