Gibson Brands Forums

ES - 390 Anyone?

soundjunkie

I have an old 70's era hollow body Harmony Rocket with D'Armond pickups that I really love, but it really isn't gig-worthy and I don't want to put different tuners on the thing. It's cherry and I also mean cherry condition - all original. I love the tone. I have tried to like the 335, but have not found one that felt right or sounded just right or looked just right. I keep trying, but no cigar. I've been looking at 339 Gibsons and the neck is perfect, absolutely great playing guitars, but I don't really care for the tone, which to my ears isn't anything remotely like a 335 or any other Gibson, really. Then I discovered the 390, which like my Harmony Rocket, is a full hollow body with mini-buckers. In addition, block inlays and a trapeze, and a sound that's chimey, jangly killer to my ears. Anyone have one of these beauties? B) Give me the good, the bad and the ugly on this guitar. At 5.3 pounds, what's not to love! OK, maybe a little feedback? :(

I just ordered one today! Should be here Monday! Pretty excited..I took a gamble as not much feedback anywhere on this new model for Gibson. I love their minibuckers and hoping they will be a perfect match in this hollowbody. At least hypothetically, seems like it should be a sweet axe. Hope to post a pic or two when I get it.

I just ordered one today! Should be here Monday! Pretty excited..I took a gamble as not much feedback anywhere on this new model for Gibson. I love their minibuckers and hoping they will be a perfect match in this hollowbody. At least hypothetically, seems like it should be a sweet axe. Hope to post a pic or two when I get it.

Congrats! Hope it's an absolute winner.

Well...you can always (later) get a new or "slightly used, but not abused" Epi Sheraton, and put

some TV Jones Filtertrons in it! I contemplate that very thing, almost daily, anymore! [biggrin]

So far, I've resisted the temptation (too many gutiars, already), but...for how much longer,

I'm not sure?!! [tongue]:rolleyes:

CB

Wow, perfect timing! I went home for lunch, walked the dog and left garage door open, made sandwhich, checked the FedEx site for ship status and notice it was shipped! HMMM, didn't notice any boxes in the garage. Opened my door to the garage and voila! There it was! God I love FedEx, not one dent in the box! Hurried into the house opened the box inside the box, removing all the bubble wrap. Packed like nobodies business. And now for the unveiling. Tears of joy! Absolutely gorgeous! Pics and first cursory review to follow when I get out of work! Hats off Gibson! OM GAAAAAAWD! What a stunning guitar! I did pick it up out of the case. Weighs about 5 pounds and balanced perfectly! Great set-up from the factory too! [love]

20130806_122703_zps94a80454.jpg

Freaking Beautiful! Thanks Gibson! 60's neck with a little chunk, dark rosewood board, vintage faded cherry nitro-gloss finish, creme bindings, 5.3 pounds, mini-hums! I only plugged into a little Blackeheart amp and it is very sweet and pretty acousticly, yet the bridge pickup, I was surprised, can seriously grind at higher volumes. The neck pickup is darker and great for smoother leads. Yes it does feedback standing directly next to the amp, but very controlable. Can't wait to plug into my real amps.

Well, I wondered why there isn't much feedback (opinions / reviews) on this beauty and I figured out why, after being in total awe of the beautiful craftsmanship, the outstanding playability. I'm pretty sad to report it was returned today. Absolutely stunning looking guitar! The deal-breaker for me was the lack of functional pots (7-10 or off) and strap button locations obviously not designed for standing musicians. Let go of the guitar and it flips. Also, in 2013, you would think Gibson would know that a hotter pickup is required in the bridge position. Fix these three things and I'll run to my nearest dealer. I've never been so excited and then let down in a guitar. Guess somone missed the details in this new model. I called customer service and they were outstanding, offering to replace/fix the pots, but I'm not sure a replace would fix or if their pots are designed that way. Anyone bench test this guitar? Pots made in Taiwan?

Archived