Gibson Brands Forums

Tried the Gibson J-200 strings on my Epiphone EJ-200

iwalktheline

Hey guys, I just switched strings on my ej-200 and put on my first pack of the Gibson j-200 stings(13-56). I was extremely blown away. The volume and thud now coming from this guitar is ridiculous compared to when it was setup and had new strings put on. I was actually very disappointed when I took her for a setup and got her back and she sounded pretty dead. I understands it's an epiphone but still I was let down. I realize in time the sound and thud will fade but I will buy these stings for now on for this particular guitar. I'm sold on them so far.

Ah, thank you. Does the silk make a difference?

Bob

Bob, I THINK the only difference is that the silk prevents the string from digging into the string ramps on the bridge, which can be at an unusual angle on some types of the J-200's mustache bridge, depending on how many pearl bars it has. That's my thought about it anyway--I don't know for sure. I wouldn't expect the silk to make much sonic difference, if any, as the ends are below the point where the speaking length of the strings are terminated at the saddle (though some folks find that pin material makes a difference, and they are below the saddle, too).

Bob, let me ask you something: the Masterbuilt 80/20's have only recently been packaged for sale; do you have any impressions about how they differ from the Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze strings?

Red 333

• 2 weeks later...

I have just tried a set of J-200 12-53s on my 94 Gibson J-100 Xtra, which usually wears D`addario EJ-16s, and found them a bit too Hi-fi for my liking! Subsequently, I`ve gone back to the trusty EJ-16`s and put the J-200`s on my 1980 Daion Heritage 78 instead, where they are a total revelation. The Daion, and me love them. [biggrin]

Steve.

Archived