Gibson Brands Forums

Got some questions...

funkadelic

I just got a j-45 and its brand new so probably 2008. Only thing is its finish isnt as yellow as most of the ones i see, its more of a black to brown instead of a black to yellow finish.... is this normal? because of all the stores online , i havnt see one like it.

is it possible its not spruce? or are all j 45s spruce? (mines modern classic i think) cuz i paid about 2000 for it. Its from a franchise so its not fake for sure

I think all J45 tops are spruce but there's a couple of different types of spuce being used. I think it's the True Vintage series that uses adirondac spruce vs sitka which could account for the darker finish. Something really unusual that I saw the other day was a bubinga J45. It had a rich honey colored top but I'm not sure of the wood. I assume it was spruce as well. It's a beaut. Can you post pics of yours?

EDIT- My bad. It's the Legend series that uses the adirondac.

I've got the one of the 50 adircondack J-45's made in '07. It's not a true vintage series but just a limited run custom-shop model. It has gold tuners and the same honey-colour you describe yours haven't. I would say that most of the j-45's I've seen have a much darker sunburst. Mine is honey-burst, and it is not normal. I would say yours is normal.

Congratulations with the geetar anyways. Still only getting to know mine.

Hey Funkadelic, the Modern Classic and True Vintage J-45's are Sitka Spruce tops. With the exception of some custom runs (like Perrin's) only the 1942-J45 has an Adorondak Spruce top. The reason for the difference in bursts is due to a few factors.

1. The shade and color of the wood will be slightly different from tree to tree. A darker wood will produce a darker burst.

2. Gibson bursts are applied by hand, not machine. (thank God!) That too can make a burst come out a little darker or a little lighter.

3. If you bought the guitar via mail order you were looking at a photo, probobly not of the actual guitar you bought.

4. If the photo was of the actual guitar, photos can make a burst appear darker or lighter. I have a saphire blue Sg and in some pictures it looks deep blue and in some it looks almost like a light metalic blue.

Next time you go into a guitar shop take note of all the different shade of tops on guitar that use the same wood. It's just Mother Nature's way of making your guitar a little more unique.

Just enjoy your J-45, it's a great guitar!

Archived