Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson explorer knobs

Sanitarium

I had the machined/domed metal ones on my 85 for quite a while..........They worked fine.....slide right on, tighten the little set screw. Can get them at most music stores or any of the online ones.

I'm trying to figure out what it came with originally........most pics look like speed knobs, but according to Gibson, they should be top hat.....trying to find out for sure.

NHTom

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Knobs/Dome_knobs/Dome_Knob.html

http://www.allparts.com/knobs

You'll have to figure out for yourself which ones will fit based on what's already installed on the guitar.

How do I figure out that? How do I know it will fit? Sorry I'm pretty new with this kind of stuff.

I have these Knobs on right now PRSK010-xlarge.jpg What do you think?

My bet is that those knurled knobs are held on with a small set screw and the pots have solid shafts. Those black plastic knobs are probably sitting on split shafts. That would mean that you would have to change out all your pots for the new knobs.

I had the machined/domed metal ones on my 85 for quite a while..........They worked fine.....slide right on, tighten the little set screw. Can get them at most music stores or any of the online ones.

I'm trying to figure out what it came with originally........most pics look like speed knobs, but according to Gibson, they should be top hat.....trying to find out for sure.

NHTom

My 79 Explorer came with top hat knobs...

8431136853_132d49c730.jpg

How do I figure out that? How do I know it will fit? Sorry I'm pretty new with this kind of stuff.

I have these Knobs on right now PRSK010-xlarge.jpg What do you think?

The knobs in the linked image are black Speed Knobs.

You should be able to find machined metal knobs that match your pots. The pot shaft diameter may be either 6 mm or 1/4" (approx. 6.35 mm). They usually are available in these two dimensions and in different designs with or without screw. Both designs work pretty on some of my instruments. My Fender Special Telecaster FMT HH has one each - one just slided one on the volume pot, and the other one slided on and hold by a screw on the push/pull tone pot, in order to not pull it off.

Archived