Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone compare Broadway to L-5 CES?

Roosto7

Have you made a sound comparison?

I have an Elitist Broadway and an L4CES. Sound pretty close but the L4 is a little smoother and sweeter sounding. Probably due to the difference in pups. Should be an interesting comparo with an L5 though.

Yes. I've played my Elitist Broadway side by side with an 80's L5-CES and a Heritage Golden Eagle (their equivalent model).

The Heritage only had a neck pickup, so it was less versatile, but played and sounded great, and probably had the best neck pickup tone of the three. The Elitist Broadway was a very close second, though, and if I were to change pickups, I bet it would be every bit as good. The L-5 was heavier and not quite as "live" sounding as either the Broadway or the Heritage.

Considering the L-5 was selling for three times what I paid for my Elitist Broadway, I believe I got the best deal. The tone is close enough not to matter to an audience, and when I'm not in "picky evaluation mode," but just playing music, I am completely enthralled by the sound of my Elitist Broadway.

I also have a Korean (Peerless) Broadway, and while it is an excellent guitar, it is not quite in the same league as the Elitist.

Yes. I've played my Elitist Broadway side by side with an 80's L5-CES and a Heritage Golden Eagle (their equivalent model).

The Heritage only had a neck pickup, so it was less versatile, but played and sounded great, and probably had the best neck pickup tone of the three. The Elitist Broadway was a very close second, though, and if I were to change pickups, I bet it would be every bit as good. The L-5 was heavier and not quite as "live" sounding as either the Broadway or the Heritage.

Considering the L-5 was selling for three times what I paid for my Elitist Broadway, I believe I got the best deal. The tone is close enough not to matter to an audience, and when I'm not in "picky evaluation mode," but just playing music, I am completely enthralled by the sound of my Elitist Broadway.

I also have a Korean (Peerless) Broadway, and while it is an excellent guitar, it is not quite in the same league as the Elitist.

I have a Peerless Broadway. What are the main factors that give the Elitist a better tone and sound?

DSC01172.jpg

I have a Peerless Broadway. What are the main factors that give the Elitist a better tone and sound?

The Elitist has a solid, carved top (which also has a thin laminated layer on the back), while the standard Broadway has a fully laminated, pressed top. The solid top will generally produce a richer, woodier sound, particularly acoustically.

The Elitist has Gibson USA pickups; the standard has generic Asian-sourced pickups. The Gibson pups are more articulate. Older, generic Epi pups tend to be a little muddy.

The Elitist has a five-piece maple neck (traditional on high-end archtop construction); the standard has less-stable maple neck with a scarf joint (a cost-saving type of construction used on budget friendly instruments). As I noted, the chief virtue of the five-piece neck is its stability. However, as the L-5 and others also have this sort of neck, the Elitist is more likely to sound closer to the L-5 than a guitar built with a scarf jointed neck, as the string energy is transmitted down the neck closer to the same way.

The Elitist has a tunomatic bridge. The standard has a wooden bridge/saddle. The tunomatic contributes to better clarity, as well as intonation.

I also think that the Elitist's finish is thinner (I have no way to measure to provide real proof--just what I observe); a thinner finish will usually contribute to a more lively and resonant instrument.

I have both, and think the standard Broadway is quite an impressive instrument for the money. As others have noted, though, it's not quite at Elitist level.

Red 333

Additionally, the Elitist has an ebony fingerboard while the standard has rosewood. The body is slightly deeper with a more pronounced arch in the top and back, so it's specs are closer to an L-5 than a standard Broadway. Still, as mentioned, the standard Broadway is an excellent guitar, just not quite to the level of an Elitist.

Archived