Gibson Brands Forums

Fitting a Bone Nut and Saddle to a EJ200

BlackWater

Did just that to an Epi EJ200 I picked-up dirt cheap from a local Pawn Shop recently, guitar, according to the serial number, was a 2003 model, minimal fret-wear, in general very good condition, gave it to my local guitar-tech, who set it up, replaced the old nut and saddle with old bone, got it back, and this guitar plays, and sounds so sweet and responsive, I'm very pleased with it.

Congratulations on your score. I intend to do the same to my PR5-E at some point. Have you changed out the bridge pins yet? I know there are some out there who say bridge pins make no contribution to the tone, but I got rid of the plastic ones and replaced them with Tusq, and it seems to me that the sustain was improved.

Answering your inquiry re bridge pins Geezah:-I've been considering getting bone or Tusq pins, but reading the gumph regarding the fact that they don't affect the sound of the guitar-I view them as being more cosmetic, they do look nice though. .....

Until recently I was unconvinced that bridge pins had any effect on tone. When I replaced the stock plastic with Tusq the difference was obvious. My theory ( and its only a theory, others with more knowledge than I may refute this) is that you will notice a difference if the density of the bridge pin equals or exceeds the density of the bridge material. Once again, just tossing this off the top of my head, someone with knowledge of the physics involved may have a completely different explanation. It's pretty certain, however, that you'll improve your tone more by upgrading the saddle and nut.

Archived