Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Pin Upgrade Options

I don't care for the cheap plastic bridge pins that came on my $3000+ J200. What are some places to get better pins of the same size? I'm not really a big fan of bone pins. They never seem to sound better than good quality hard plastic pins. Does anyone know the size of the pins? This is my first Gibson guitar.

Thanks.

I have some Tusq pins that I like. MOP dots, & like an Abalone dot too. Black & White. I'll check tomorrow where I found good prices, but I think it was a seller store on ebay.

Look them up on the Tusq website and see if you like them or not. Some of the other like the Bob Clossi bridge pins too. I may try some of them on my new Hummingbird.

Aster

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. If not I can't believe no one has any advice about changing out bridge pins on a J200 or at least letting me know what size they are so I can venture out on my own to find some quality pins. I thought this board would have much more "traffic" than it does. Guess I'm used to and spoiled by the UMGF. [unsure]

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. If not I can't believe no one has any advice about changing out bridge pins on a J200 or at least letting me know what size they are so I can venture out on my own to find some quality pins. I thought this board would have much more "traffic" than it does. Guess I'm used to and spoiled by the UMGF. [unsure]

Sorry we don't measure up to the UMGF. The pins in Graphtech are listed as either "Traditional" or "Presentation" size. Most main stream guitars are the Traditional. I offered up the Tusq as you'd mentioned not being enamored with bone. Outside of Tusq, & bone, you're only left with Woolly Mammoth, wood, and some other exotic materials (Beaver tooth or some dang stuff) unless I'm missing some of them.

Aster

Graphtech Tusq

Look beautiful. Are the Ivory like a bit softer sounding? I haven't tried them as I tend to gravitate to a brighter ring and maybe am wrongly conjuring up the Ivory like wood maybe less bright.

Really look good. I'm on the hunt for some good looking/sounding pins for my new Hummingbird myself.

Aster

Look beautiful. Are the Ivory like a bit softer sounding? I haven't tried them as I tend to gravitate to a brighter ring and maybe am wrongly conjuring up the Ivory like wood maybe less bright.

Really look good. I'm on the hunt for some good looking/sounding pins for my new Hummingbird myself.

Aster

They are made of a hard plastic material called Galalith. Here is Stew/Mac's description:

Jewelry for your guitar • A vintage material is reborn

Our ivoroid bridge pins, endpins and strap buttons are made of Galalith, a dense and durable casein-based material that polishes beautifully. Popular in the early 20th century, Galalith is found today in collectible vintage jewelry. It cannot be molded; each pin is precisely machined and has none of the unslightly mold lines common to plastic pins.

Archived