Gibson Brands Forums

New ES335 12

onemanband

Hi, new member here; well at least to the custom shop forum. I already have a Gibson 2013 EB bass that I love, and use for playing bass in a local band, but after years of making my living playing acoustic 12 string guitar on solo gigs, I have now done a "Judas" msp_smile.gif and bought an ES-335 12 string (Sunburst) and gone electric!

What a superb instrument, I'm absolutely delighted with the sound, finish & playability of this fantastic guitar.

I'm so glad I stuck with the Gibson family, after trying the other main competitor in the 12 string stakes.......Rickenbacker; the neck was thick, narrow and uncomfortable, the unique tuner layout was clever but would make string changing a nightmare I think.

To me, it was a no brainer, I chose the Gibson straight away and now I'm looking forward to gigging it tomorrow night and cherishing a truly magnificent investment of a guitar!!

Also looking forward to following and contributing to, discussions on this forum too.

Brian.

Although I haven't seen or played one, the new ES 335-12 should be a significant improvement in playability over the originals from the 1960's, in that they have a wider nut.

Nevertheless, I love my 1968 ES 335-12, shown here:

outsidenoflash.jpg

Woh......................... THAT, is sheer class Nick !!

As I said, in the few days I've had it, I love mine, but I have one issue. The nut has not been cut or finished properly, resulting in five (YES 5!!) of the strings binding and sticking and creating real tuning problems.

I have managed to fix this myself, as I am quite competent at minor guitar repairs, fret dressing etc., and whilst it's no big deal, I would not have expected issues like this, on a guitar costing so much money. Apart from that.........suuuuuuuperb!!

I shall probably eventually get a graphite nut cut & fitted by a professional luthier as graphite seems to alleviate most tuning issues.

Brian.

Very nice guitar indeed... [thumbup]

Personally I'll stick with acoustic 12 strings, as they seem (IMO) more suited to the 12 string ethos...

My current favourites are Ovation, Takamine and Yamaha...all down tuned...

I guess a 335-12 would be problematic when down-tuned...just personal preference/opinion...

Again IMO...the Rickenbacker 12's have huge history with Beatles/Byrds et al

But a 335 is a thing of great beauty however many taut steel flappy things it has attached... :blink:

V

:-({|=

Yeah, I'd probably agree on the acoustic 12 string thing, having played acoustic for more years than I care to remember and playing most of the names you mention too. The one instrument I truly regret selling was my Ovation Custom Legend (shallow bowl) 12. My current acoustic that I would NEVER sell, is an Avalon, hand made for me in Ireland a few years ago

That having been said V, I have gone electric because of the ease of playing; low action, lighter strings etc. etc., following a really bad wrist injury last year and the acute pain that accompanies playing my acoustic!

The 335 really is a lot more comfortable; I've made the decision and the investment so.....................no going back!! smile.gif

Hi again Mr o-m-b...

Good luck...take care...with the recovery from injury...play very gently and monitor any pain carefully...

Just a few general interest thoughts...

I've seen Johnny Winter playing some superb stuff on a Fender 12...

Also spent a lot of time experimenting with string gauges for acoustic 12's...they can be tough holding down some chords

Currently my easiest player is the Yamaha...small and slim bodied with huge sound when amped...custom 9's tuned C#...

For wow factor the Ovation takes it...big contoured bowl...even bigger sound, with aesthetics to match... [thumbup]

Also been down as far as custom 8's for easy F/S...

V

:-({|=

Here's a picture.....................

http://www.flickr.co...s/69592184@N07/

Two gigs so far, absolutely delighted with this guitar, apart from the nut/tuning issue but that will soon be sorted; I'm having a graphite nut fitted next week.

I'm also going to replace the amber volume & tone knobs with some back ones, (like your '68 Nick)

I'm not a "knob" expert laugh.gif, it's just an aesthetic issue, I just don't like the amber ones.

This'll be a working guitar, not hung a wall to be looked at and I am looking forward to our future together!! msp_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Archived