Gibson Brands Forums

Oxidized Hardware- any suggestions?

davwir

I have a couple of Gibsons (Es335 and 175) that the chrome hardware has really oxidized on, leaving the finish feeling kind of yuck..

Any suggestions on products to try to clean these up a bit?

335.JPG

The picture obviously shows nickel hardware. There wasn't and still is no chrome ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic bridge as well as no nickel Nashville TOM. It is next to impossible to oxidize chrome-plated hardware so severely.

To attempt cleaning, I recommend a good contact cleaner since it is compatible with brass, zinc, ZAMAK or whatever may be under the nickel coating, and a toothbrush. Caution is required when cleaning pickup covers. Cleaner seeping into the inside may affect the adhesive of the tape around the coils. Finally the residue and the dissolved tarnish should be wiped off with a soft cloth. It can be useful to treat bridge, saddles and screws one more time with cleaner and to leave it there.

On March 20th, 2013 I bought a new Epiphone Les Paul Tribute, and its obviously nickel-alloy-plated hardware is rather dull meanwhile whereas the chrome plated Grover Far East kidney self-locking tuners shine brightly.

In contrary, my 1978 SG Std's chrome-plated hardware parts look just like new while its nickel-plated Grover USA keystone tuners are fairly corroded.

The pure nickel-plated hardware of my Gibson CS LP Std F I own new since June 27th, 2013 is pretty blackened meanwhile.

I was curious about Nevr Dull and researched the web. There seems to be nothing like that available in Germany, or they hide it successfully from the internet [biggrin]

Has anybody ever tried the following products:

http://store.gibson.com/guitar-care-kit/

- OK, I don't need that guitar strap, and the same stuff seems to be somewhat cheaper here:

http://store.gibson.com/vintage-reissue-guitar-restoration-kit/

I read some positive reviews on the German Thomann website.

I will tell you what works for me. WD40.

Take off the hardware, put it somewhere you can spray it over, just don't soak them

in WD, put the hardware in a bag/bags (WD 'dirty'), let it do its magic for at least one night

(24h+ is best), then take it out of the bags, you will notice the hardware will have a 'coat'

of WD, wipe it out with a smooth cloth, I have actually seen real rust vanish like magic in

this way.

Yours is gonna be a piece of cake, it will be shiny after you wipe it.

If not, repeat the process and let it sit for a longer while.

Like it's been said, nickel plated hardware will not oxide easily.

I've bought "Gibson Vintage restoration kit" , and the metal cleaner is good.

But my guitar was not oxidized as your ^^.

Thanks for your comment, GGfloyd. [thumbup]

I think I will give the Gibson cleaning stuff a chance. My nickel-plated hardware just looks a little dull, so it should work.

and if you want your hardware very clean, don't hesitate to rub longer ;-)

Local Guitar shop recommended Simichrome Polish, which they use and sell..

I tried it with an old toothbrush, worked pretty well for sure.

Thanks all for the help and advice!

Local Guitar shop recommended Simichrome Polish, which they use and sell..

I tried it with an old toothbrush, worked pretty well for sure.

Thanks all for the help and advice!

Glad you got it done. [thumbup]

If you have time and opportunity, would you send pics please? I am curious to view the result.

Archived