Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 modification

Don335

Hello everyone,

I have a beautiful flamed Sunburst ES-335 with a B7 Bigsby.I had some minor modifications by adding a bone nut and installing Schaller strap locks. The bone nut has made this a whole new guitar and the tone is unbelievable! The srap locks were installed because the strap came loose at gig and I just barely caught the guitar before it hit the floor..lucky!I'm not much on modding guitars but these two simple modifications sure made a difference in making this guitar sound great and reliable! [thumbup]

Don335

Hello everyone,

I have a beautiful flamed Sunburst ES-335 with a B7 Bigsby.I had some minor modifications by adding a bone nut and installing Schaller strap locks. The bone nut has made this a whole new guitar and the tone is unbelievable! The srap locks were installed because the strap came loose at gig and I just barely caught the guitar before it hit the floor..lucky!I'm not much on modding guitars but these two simple modifications sure made a difference in making this guitar sound great and reliable! [thumbup]

Don335

I agree re the straplocks Don but what surprised me about your post is the nut. I thought Gibson ES guitars had bone nuts already and the plastic rubbish was only found on Epi's.

Hello everyone,

Don335

+1 on the bone nut. It's like a new and different instrument now.

I was not pleased with the stock nut from the factory. In fact it was the reason I was having some tuning issues with the Bigsby. I read where a lot of people here were stating they too changed from the standard factory installed nut to a bone nut and the results were great. I decided to go for it and I'm glad I did..it completely changed the guitar as far as the sound and tuning reliability is concerned. The strap locks to me were a no brainer, I didn't want to take the chance of having my guitar hit the floor..it just made sense. I have a gig this Saturday and I can't wait to play it with the band!

Don335 [thumbup]

dependability, reliability, and comfort are major things when playing live-especially on a 4 set night! [thumbup]

For me it takes a bit of time to get the right feel for a new guitar? This particular 335 has a factory B7 Bigsby and it was giving me fits.The nut was the culprit and my guitar tech says lets install a bone nut..and now no more issues. I play in a Surf trio and tradition says to play a Fender Strat but the 335 just has bigger fuller sound...I like it and it fits!

Don335

Hello everyone,

...The bone nut has made this a whole new guitar and the tone is unbelievable! ...these two simple modifications sure made a difference in making this guitar sound great and reliable! [thumbup]

Don335

I have no experience with bone nut. Just wondering... besides open string, how does the bone nut make a difference to the rest of the other steel frets? Wouldn't the string vibrate between the saddle and the fretted position?

Is a bone nut less binding when doing heavy bending? ...that is, return to the string back in tune better after a bend. Even then, a well dressed nut and nut lube seem to work perfectly.

The only bone nut I have are in my very old acoustics.

Thanks,

I have no experience with bone nut. Just wondering... besides open string, how does the bone nut make a difference to the rest of the other steel frets? Wouldn't the string vibrate between the saddle and the fretted position?

Is a bone nut less binding when doing heavy bending? ...that is, return to the string back in tune better after a bend. Even then, a well dressed nut and nut lube seem to work perfectly.

The only bone nut I have are in my very old acoustics.

Thanks,

THIS! Other than for open strings "MAYBE", it makes absolutely no difference for tone.

Well I have to say that the bone nut DID make a difference in the tone and sound of my 335. The guitar in my opinion seems to have a bit more treble and a more woody tone. To me it's very noticeable.

Don335

HMMMM, strange, my new 335TDC Memphis has a nylon nut AND nylon saddles and has sustain for days along with the most beautiful chimey resonance of any guitar I've ever played. I'm not saying you wasted your money, but I've been down this road with other guitars and have never experienced any difference between nut materials affecting the tone or sustain of the guitar. Glad you are digging the new nut. Maybe the old one wasn't filed right or something.

PICS! DEMAND PICS!!!! Sounds like a great guitar!

Archived