Gibson Brands Forums

pickguard replacement - photos added - and job done pic

blindboygrunt

Got myself some double sided sticky from local shop. Pickguard removed. Scary part next in making sure I get it back on in a decent position

is the sticky side down covered at the minute? do the placement, put a bit of tape (masking/painters or whatever loosely over the top and top of the guitar to create an 'anchor' once correct, flip back, peel protection of, carefully place the bugger, give it a good press & rub to ensure full contact, marvel at your guitar modding prowess, posts pics online....... easy.

honestly, had reservations myself first time, was a doodle... could do it again drunk as a skunk...

Anyone thinking of doing it don't be scared. No big deal ,. I will say this though - I'm taking for granted that everyone , same as me, is worried about the removal. Its the EASY part. Its tricky placing it back on . funny how I never WS really worried about that until it was time to do it.

I got a Google image of one that was in the position I wanted and had that beside the guitar. Put a few masking tape points around my guard sitting on top of the guitar and then removed the last paper covering the sticky stuff on the back before carefully , and rather shakily, setting it in its spot.

But really , no big deal.

Apologies to all those who like their hole partially covered. But I like mine in view of the whole world.

Anyone thinking of doing it don't be scared. No big deal ,. I will say this though - I'm taking for granted that everyone , same as me, is worried about the removal. Its the EASY part. Its tricky placing it back on . funny how I never WS really worried about that until it was time to do it.

I got a Google image of one that was in the position I wanted and had that beside the guitar. Put a few masking tape points around my guard sitting on top of the guitar and then removed the last paper covering the sticky stuff on the back before carefully , and rather shakily, setting it in its spot.

Apologies to all those who like their hole partially covered. But I like mine in view of the whole world.

Looks much better....it's easy but things can go wrong....I have removed and replaced about a dozen or so and only once had to redo it because I ended up still covering part of the rosette.

1. When putting the double sided adhesive on the back of pickguard, I essentially roll it on from the edge of my kitchen countertop...pressing hard as I go to make sure there are no air bubbles between the pickguard and the adhesive sheet. I place the adhesive sheet sticky side up, hanging over the edge of the counter then slowly push the pickguard toward the wall pressing down on the guard the whole time...no air bubbles.

2. I trim the adhesive sheet by moving the guard, not the exacto knife. Stick the tip of the knife in a cutting board and push the pickguard face up past it like a bandsaw...

3. I give the adhesive sheet and the pickguard a little time to get to know each other, because you can peal off the adhesive layer, when removing the second backing sheet. I got air bubbles on one once when the adhesive lifted...had to clear it all off with naphtha and start over.

4. I don't set it in place. I place it where I want it with the backing still on the pickguard and use a piece of masking tape about 4 inches as a hinge and flip it over into place....I try it three or four times to make sure it lands in the right spot. Use the large outside radius of the guard as the hinge....While it is flipped back, I slowly peel off the second backing sheet, while carefully making sure the pickguard doesn't shift. Start peeling on the wide part of the guard because it requires more pull, and there is still backing where you can press down to keep it from shifting....if you start peeling at the tip of the guard (which is easier) there is really nothing to hold onto once you get to the wide part of the guard. Once the backing is off I slowly flip it back over....direct hit every time.

I use naphtha and a stack of old business cards to remove the guard....I get too nervous about lifting off nitro finish with the hot blow dryer. I tried the dental floss, but prefer business cards because they keep all the work under the guard...easy to saw sideways thru the adhesive as you give the naphtha time to do its work of softening the glue.

Tried various techniques but this gives me the most control through out the process....

4. I don't set it in place. I place it where I want it with the backing still on the pickguard and use a piece of masking tape about 4 inches as a hinge and flip it over into place....

AH! the hinge is a great idea.

Where were you this morning before I started ! Geez

Exactly what I posted about yesterday....

is the sticky side down covered at the minute? do the placement, put a bit of tape (masking/painters or whatever loosely over the top and top of the guitar to create an 'anchor' once correct, flip back, peel protection of, carefully place the bugger, give it a good press & rub to ensure full contact, marvel at your guitar modding prowess, posts pics online....... easy.

Nice job! I've already changed mine, but curious to know how you got the old pickguard off without destroying it?

Archived