Gibson Brands Forums

We all make mistakes

Tami

This coincidence is too close for my comfort.

I recently acquired an Epiphone FT110 Frontier that has me puzzled. It looks like it is authentic, although it's a 2nd, and I can't see a thing suspicious about it except for what appears to be a typo. The headstock has the serial number #102724 and the blue label inside says #107724. The imprinted serial number shows 1963 or 1967, in normal Gibson fashion, but the label's number doesn't come up in the database at all. I wouldn't think it's a stretch to think Gibson/Epiphone is capable of a typo do you? Has anyone experienced a label typo before? The neck would be older than the body and how big of a coincidence would the number be? Any chance that Epiphone would have a record of it? Thank you!

FT110SET_zps2bc3a1d8.jpg

FT110LABEL_zps1358b4be.jpg

FT110_S_zps64d5a707.jpg

In the past, I experienced several cases of varying serial numbers on gear and package or warranty card. The serial number of my Weimann Blues Bird guitar is completely different from the warranty number. Furthermore, all three Korg D3200 multitrackers of mine have serial numbers which are exactly 100 greater than on the cartons. They were made in China within four years, so this seems to be systematic.

I think it is just an error myself, which may have been the reason it was a second "2". Serial number batch 100000-106099 are from either 63 or 67, and serial number batch 106100-108999 are from 63. If your Frontier has the flat foil "E" on the pickguard, I would say it`s a 63, as in 66 that changed to the more common raised variety. Also the nut width on the earlier 60s guitars is generally wider than those from about 65 onwards, you would be lloking at 1&11/16ths, whereas 67 is more likely to be 1&9/16ths.

Nice score by the way, what`s it sound like with the Maple back & sides, similar to a Dove?

Steve.

The label is only one number different & looks to be rubber stamped.Easy to misread a 2 for a 7.

I have an early Frontier with wider neck rope'n'cactus pickguard & short headstock.

Wonderful guitar,but my Dove (made in Nashville)is one of the loudest flat-tops I've ever heard.

Here's a pic of the

> > > 1966 Epiphone offerings < < <

> > > 1964 offerings < < <

and the

> > > 1962 offerings < < <

The '62 and - '64 had more ostentatious pick guards. Cactus flowers, I think.

In '66 the Frontier sported a more sedate, standard pick guard.

I suspect this mix-up of labels and serial stamping might be the reason for the "2" stamping.

What does the other half of the label say? K'zoo labels had "Union Made" printed on the lower left corner. Save for a few early, early Norlin examples, of the pre 'FT' variety, only K'zoo made guitars had this label. The early, early Norlins had the "Union Made" lined out with black marker and "Made in Japan" rubber stamped in the lower right until proper, printed labels could be acquired. Most of the black marker marks have faded, but the hand drawn line is still visible as well as the "Union Made" underneath. At least one Norlin example I've seen seems to have missed this label editing. The first 'proper' "Made in Japan" labels were identical, except for the bottom line, below the box.

FWIW, nothing about this guitar leads me to believe it is a Norlin make.

Not to burst your bubble, but it would appear that even though this looks to be a genuine K'zoo label. There appears to be the remnants of another label sticking out from under the other one. Hmmm curious????

But purchasing a 'Second' has its price. Dubious heritage, maybe? That's why they sold it on the cheap back in '66 or was it '67?

Archived