Gibson Brands Forums

Maple Top and Back - Seriously?

soundjunkie

I have one of these coming this week and I've asked the dealer for pic's, because I've seen nice ones and horror story versions. Love this guitar, but does Gibson reserve the crappiest grade of maple for the cherry ones? I have seen just one on TGP forum that looked amazing, but all others look pretty bad. I've seen better grain on plywood roof decks. It also looks like they use no grain filler prior to the VOS painting process, looking at the pic's on various guitar sites like Wildwood. Is this the way Kalamazoo built them in the 60's? Blotchy paint and cheap wood? Are these really maple, because normally maple has a pretty beautiful grain. This looks more like pine.

After taking a look, I think they use period-correct plain maple for top and back. This may vary as figured maple does, too.

So, I guess it's luck of the draw. It might not look so blotchy if they used a grain filler prior to the cherry stain, but maybe that's half the attraction factor for these. It also could be lousy photographs too - who knows. I've seen two on Wildwood which were not too bad but the one on Sweetwater which recently sold looked like a grain nightmare, with "crazy grain". It could be the red shows off more grain. I'm probably just getting nervous ... pre-guitar purchase jitters. :unsure: I've wanted a "real" ES-335 since 1973 and could only afford a Harmony Rocket (incidently a really cool guitar that I still own). The frets are worn to the fretboard on the Rocket, so I'm looking for my long time real 335 to arrive shortly. [rolleyes]

I guess you're right calling it pre-guitar purchase jitters... I know them pretty well. There are crazy grainings on some of my guitars, too, even on some with beatiful figurings, and both graining and figuring are rather sensitive to lighting and viewing angles. My AA-top Les Paul Traditional's look varies from seeming to have a plain top to showing sheer hell fires [scared] :o [biggrin]

I own one very beatiful flame top Les Paul with a very inconsistent graining, one with a rather consistent, and the only Les Paul maple top among mine with a figuring completely suppressing the grains is a quilted one. In the end it all remains just as grown ;)

I have one of these coming this week and I've asked the dealer for pic's, because I've seen nice ones and horror story versions. Love this guitar, but does Gibson reserve the crappiest grade of maple for the cherry ones? I have seen just one on TGP forum that looked amazing, but all others look pretty bad. I've seen better grain on plywood roof decks. It also looks like they use no grain filler prior to the VOS painting process, looking at the pic's on various guitar sites like Wildwood.

So, you ordered an instrument, and after you ordered it, you're saying that you don't like the way they generally look? [unsure]

Is this the way Kalamazoo built them in the 60's? Blotchy paint and cheap wood?

There are thousands of vintage guitar photos on the internet, which should give you an idea of the way Kalamazoo built them in the 60's. Flame and strong figuring was not common on 335's, by the way.

Are these really maple, because normally maple has a pretty beautiful grain. This looks more like pine.

Maple can have beautiful grain, and maple can have plain grain.

Maybe if you posted some photos, it would help to clarify the specifics of what you're talking about.

I am purchasing this model based on thorough research and actual pics posted on forums which were quite stunning. Maybe the guitar dealer sites do not have good photos, but they sure aren't very flattering making the finish seem blotchy. Im supposed to get some actual pics of the guitar.

I am purchasing this model based on thorough research and actual pics posted on forums which were quite stunning.

Well, what you said was: "I have seen just one on TGP forum that looked amazing, but all others look pretty bad."

Maybe the guitar dealer sites do not have good photos, but they sure aren't very flattering making the finish seem blotchy.

I get that, but it would have helped if you posted those actual photos here. I've seen a few photos that looked like what you're describing, and I can understand your concern. On the other hand, your comments about the grain qualities of maple leave me unsure if you know what was common on 335's and what wasn't in terms of attractive grain patterns. Again, we could analyze that and talk about it if you posted some photos (copied from other websites) of grain patterns that you consider nice for a 335, and those that you describe as "like pine" or not as attractive as "plywood roof decks". Your comment: "normally maple has a pretty beautiful grain" doesn't make sense to me, because there is a wide range of maple grain patterns, from what you'd see on a high end vintage archtop or a '59 Les Paul vs a garden variety 60's ES-335. In general, ES-3X5 guitars were never known for having beautiful grain patterns. Some were more attractive than others, but you haven't clarified what your expectations or desires are in that respect.

Sometimes digital pictures of red guitars will show a "blotchy" character to the image, especially if the photo has been manipulated. The photos of red 335's on Sweetwater right now aren't blotchy at all, but they don't really do justice to the finish. The actual red 335's are much richer in color than the photos appear. This is common with red guitars like ES's.

The grain is supposed to be pretty straight and not show through the finish too much. Grain is personal, but me, personally - I don't like flamed ES's at all.

I just bought a red one yesterday, BTW. So I guess they get my recommendation. The guitar that I bought is an unusually good one. The grain is not really very visible. It's a real "cherry" so to speak. Plays great, sounds great, nice neck.

"The grain generally is pretty straight". THIS "plain maple" wood grain is what I am talking about and I am not talking about "flame", "quilt", "birdseye" or "blister". Some of the 50'th anni '63 335TDC's I've seen have random multiple direction grain patterns and areas of darker and lighter woods. Very inconsistant grain patterns.

I'd hate to see an excuse that these tops were chosen because the originals from Kalamazoo were like this. Maybe I'm not cut out for a "replica" guitar. Especially a 50'th anniversary guitar with the name GIBSON on it. I also know red guitars are hard to photograph and that web-site photos aren't always a good representation of the finish. We'll see. Supposed to get pic's today or tomorrow. [biggrin]

Sometimes digital pictures of red guitars will show a "blotchy" character to the image, especially if the photo has been manipulated. The photos of red 335's on Sweetwater right now aren't blotchy at all, but they don't really do justice to the finish. The actual red 335's are much richer in color than the photos appear. This is common with red guitars like ES's.

The grain is supposed to be pretty straight and not show through the finish too much. Grain is personal, but me, personally - I don't like flamed ES's at all.

I just bought a red one yesterday, BTW. So I guess they get my recommendation. The guitar that I bought is an unusually good one. The grain is not really very visible. It's a real "cherry" so to speak. Plays great, sounds great, nice neck.

Congrats, man! [thumbup] Post pics, please.

I agree that a typical ES-335 should have a plain maple top. The graining may be as it comes in my opinion - I would want something to show that the finish is transparent. Some people surely would prefer an opaque finish covering the graining - not me.

Archived