Gibson Brands Forums

Iommi SG

iommysg

Hey guys ive been the proud owner of an iommi epi for about 3 years, but i was wondering does anyone else have one, they are super rare around where im from and seem to be very rare online also? i ask as i am having trouble with buzz on the 15th fret of the g string :S very strange i have adjusted the bridge height and that seemed to help i dont want to go to far with it as i play faster solos rather than blues

Hey guys ive been the proud owner of an iommi epi for about 3 years, but i was wondering does anyone else have one, they are super rare around where im from and seem to be very rare online also? i ask as i am having trouble with buzz on the 15th fret of the g string :S very strange i have adjusted the bridge height and that seemed to help i dont want to go to far with it as i play faster solos rather than blues

Hello IommiSG, and welcome to the GGB forums.

My 1978 SG grows to suffer from such wear-out symptoms like buzz of certain strings at certain frets. This is due to bendings in several songs of just these strings at just these frets that I performed countless times. The worst frets in my case are the 8th/9th, 11th/12th and 13th/14th of the G3rd, followed by 5th/6th, 9th/10th and 14th/15th of the B2nd. I will have to have the frets redressed soon on several older guitars I think.

Could it be that due to grinding down two frets at the same time through bending the 14th fret is affected, too, but it just doesn't hurt since the worn 15th fret gives the string enough action to vibrate?

Hope this helps,

capmaster

hey cap master im not hugely sure for example thats if you ever heard the song farewell ballad by zakk wylde playing that song has alot of slides and bends and every bend on the 15th buzzes i think it may be due to the action being a bit high i will have to adjust and find out, it could be a case of needing to dress the frets im no guitar tech just know its a pain in the neck

hey cap master im not hugely sure for example thats if you ever heard the song farewell ballad by zakk wylde playing that song has alot of slides and bends and every bend on the 15th buzzes i think it may be due to the action being a bit high i will have to adjust and find out, it could be a case of needing to dress the frets im no guitar tech just know its a pain in the neck

Action must be very large to cause fret buzz, so in most cases fret buzz will result due to the action set too small. You don't have to be a guitar tech but just may look over the frets against the light. So you should see if there are recesses due to wear on certain frets.

awesome thanks!! will try that when i get home from work, ive just done some digging on youtube and such and found videos that show fret leveling it doesnt look to difficult but specific tools are required

If you learn to level and polish frets you are part way there to being able to do your own set-ups; filing the nut is the other major part. Both these can be a steep learning curve, but if you get into it it's a great thing to be able to do. Apart from the fact it's addictive, you won't have to take a guitar to a tech for set-ups ever again, unless there's major repair work needed.

There's lots of good info around, various websites, youtube etc, and there's the 'DIY' thread here, scroll down to "Guitar Projects and/or Builds"

The DIY thread

Also recommended, Dan Erlwine's "How to make your electric guitar play great," and "Guitar player repair guide."

BUT don't practice fret skims on your pride and joy; get a beater with plenty of life left in the frets. And as you said, specific tools are needed, so ask around and get different opinions.

i have adjusted the bridge height and that seemed to help i dont want to go to far with it as i play faster solos rather than blues

I play fast blues solos (ala Jimmy Page) with a high action. It can be done. Fret buzz ruins tone; the strings need to ring out, and do that much better when they're higher.

Archived