Gibson Brands Forums

Toggle control changed!

Guttorm Andreasen

Hi guys.

I have many Epis, love them all. I changed strings now on my Les Paul Standard Goldtop PRO and when I plugged it in, the configuration of the pickups had changed! Now the neck pickup is on the up-position on the toggle! Still on the lowest volume control, though. How is that possibel? What do I do?

Thanks

Guttorm Andreasen

Oslo, Norway

Hello Guttorm and welcome here.

The neck pickup should be connected to the upper volume and tone controls and selected by toggling to the upper switch position. In so far the switch position you describe would match, that of the volume pot would not. [confused]

Please check again, seems a bit strange to me.

Welcome, Guttorm. I would imagine that only way that could have happened is if the switch was loose and had rotated through 180 degrees, if everything else is working normally.

Right, so rotate it 180 degrees and get it back where it's supposed to be. This is not rocket science.

I opened it, and indeed, it had turned and twisted 180 degrees! Quite baffling. So I put it back. I asked a friend of mine who is a luthier and he said it would happen from time to time, if the tightening screw on the front is a bit loose, it can turn itself around while playing.

Thanks for all your input!

All my Gibson and Epiphone Les Paul guitars came stock with insufficiently tightened toggle switch nuts. It's not that easy to achieve a firm mounting since the required holding up the switch from the backside may cause the risk of damaging it. It is also a bit tricky to manage without damaging the finish, and not to mar the nut when not having a matching tool. However, up to now I never had to retighten one of them another time.

Tightening the nut of an angled toggleswitch as on SG guitars is much easier.

All my Gibson and Epiphone Les Paul guitars came stock with insufficiently tightened toggle switch nuts. It's not that easy to achieve a firm mounting since the required holding up the switch from the backside may cause the risk of damaging it. It is also a bit tricky to manage without damaging the finish, and not to mar the nut when not having a matching tool.

To protect the finish, I tighten my toggle nuts by putting an old wash cloth over them and using a pair of pliers. From the inside of the guitar I hold the toggle in place with my other hand.

To protect the finish, I tighten my toggle nuts by putting an old wash cloth over them and using a pair of pliers. From the inside of the guitar I hold the toggle in place with my other hand.

This is the only way to go for me, too, not having special tools for it. [thumbup]

I took the plastic ring off of my toggle switch so now I can never remember which position is which. Problem solved!

[lol]

Archived