Gibson Brands Forums

Objective Opinions Wanted: My 339 for this Modded 333?

jbear

My ES 339 red/ 59 neck/ a mark here and there but mostly clean with all of the "stuff" that comes with...all stock for...

ES 333....here's the description:

Upgrades: Polished the body, installed Duncan Antiquities, RS GuitarWorks tailpiece, tophat knobs & upgraded wiring harness (I believe it was from RSGW too). I bought the pickguard to complete the ES335-inspired makeover, but never got it installed. I'll include it in case you'd like to use it.

Light wear on the body - it's been played, definitely not a closet piece, but no abuse on the body. One side of the headstock looks like the previous owner drug something along and the edge got chewed up a little. Nothing structural - it's all cosmetic but very obvious if you look at the side of the headstock and on the back where the clear coat has some spider-cracks in it.

I am thinking that mine's in really good shape (with all the orig. "stuff"); his 333 is scraped up a little bit. 339's seem to go from $1400-1800 avg. range, depending on condition. The 333's I can find record of seem to go for about $900-$1500...again...condition. He's got some nice upgrades...mine is stock. I'm thinking his 333 + 200-300 my way would make it pretty fair. Am I seeing this clearly?

The upshot is that I am more comfortable with the larger body of the 335 (333 here), and I don't know much about 333's, so...what do you all think?

Personal opinion here is to tread carefully

A modded guitar will be a realisation of individual tastes/dreams etc... :blink:

No experience of ES333's but have heard they are great guitars...probably original spec...

Other excellent options for a 335 size instrument...

ES335

ES330

ES137

Depends on preferred styles of music to be played

V

:-({|=

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm interested in this guitar because it's pretty well modded to what I do like. The SD Ant's and the wiring...sonically...it matches me well. With the 339 I'm playing clean-low gain stuff (Robben Ford-ish) with various Fender amps (6L6 and 6V6). Some reverb, a Barber Small Fry or Sonic Fusion OD and sometimes an El Raton for Scofield or Rosenwinkel stuff.

I can sell it outright...just trying to figure out if this 333 would do the trick...and be a fair deal for both parties.

I had a 339 and now play a 335 Fat Neck. I also had a 335 Satin which is similar to the 333.

I think you are going in the right direction anyway. I much prefer a 335 to the 339.

Even with a little difference coming your way I think I would pass. Nice upgrades but in my experience even the best upgrades don't

count for much on the used guitar market.

I think I'd wait and get just what you want.

Although I can't really stand going to any of the Guitar Centers it might be worth your while to at least try these guys as (1) they have the ES-333 in stock usually along with the 339 and (2) they get guys coming in to their stores that won't quibble as much with all of the modifications that you have made. Only my thoughts but it might be worth a try IMHO...........jim in Maine

Your guitar seems worth ATLEAST $500 more - most else being equal, and his has a visibly messed up headstock, spider-cracks on the back, and lots of wear, and is barely original?

Maybe his plus $800 as a start. You really want the SDs, so maybe his + $750.

I agree in as far as the condition is concerned - there are plenty of clean ES-333s around if you want one. At least the description sounds like the guy is being open and up front about it, but it does impact the value.

As far as the upgrades are concerned I'd usually agree that, whilst sellers usually assume if they've put so much into the guitar they will be able to charge a premium, the reality is that you can rarely expect much if any return to what you put in on a modded guitar. Modded guitars can occasionally fetch a premium if the right customer comes along, and there's no harm in paying more if the mods are things you would want to do yourself but be aware that if you do, the resale value won't necessarily reflect the premium you paid for it. The only thing I'd say in the case of 333s is that an awful lot of them do get modded along the lines of this one, and a lot of feedback on forums about how good these are when upgraded, which suggests that there may be a better than average chance of seeing a premium on this model due to the mods.

I agree in as far as the condition is concerned - there are plenty of clean ES-333s around if you want one. At least the description sounds like the guy is being open and up front about it, but it does impact the value.

As far as the upgrades are concerned I'd usually agree that, whilst sellers usually assume if they've put so much into the guitar they will be able to charge a premium, the reality is that you can rarely expect much if any return to what you put in on a modded guitar. Modded guitars can occasionally fetch a premium if the right customer comes along, and there's no harm in paying more if the mods are things you would want to do yourself but be aware that if you do, the resale value won't necessarily reflect the premium you paid for it. The only thing I'd say in the case of 333s is that an awful lot of them do get modded along the lines of this one, and a lot of feedback on forums about how good these are when upgraded, which suggests that there may be a better than average chance of seeing a premium on this model due to the mods.

All good points. Thank you.

So...who wants to buy this so I can get a 335?

the RS kit and the Duncan pickups are definitely upgrades in my opinion- those things would instantly be replaced if i were purchasing the guitar new. Antiquities are awesome PAF clones, especially given that they are mass produced vs the $$$$$ boo-teek stuff. I have a 339 and i wish i had bought something else (but i dont want to sell it [biggrin] ) It doesn't sound like a semi-hollow at all and the stock wiring/pots are awful. I think a 333 would be a jump in the right direction, although i agree they don't command as high of prices on the used market.

A quick skim of ebay shows 333s going for $1400 give or take. The upgrades would offset the cosmetic damage in my mind. If the owner of the 333 would kick in maybe $200, then I'd probably make the trade- assuming I could inspect and play the 333 in person first.

Both the ES339 and the ES333 are great guitars. I am lucky enough to own examples of both . The 339 is a Custom Shop issue (at least mine is, and all the ones I've seen are .... and come with a COA)...... and contrary to what others are suggesting, I actually found it quite difficult to find an ES-333 - in any condition.

The main difference in the 339 and the 333 is the size. The 339 being more the size of a Standard Les Paul. Otherwise the 339 is similar to a 335 - same '57 Classic p'ups etc..

The 333 is basically an 'economy' 335, and is therefore bigger than the 339. Gibson produced it for a short time from 2002- 2005. To those players who 'needed' a 335, but didn't have a couple of thou' or more to spend, this was a way to get the same guitar and save a ton of money in the process.( Maybe why Gibson discontinued it.)

The differences between the 333 and the 335 were mainly cosmetic, i.e. different pickups, a silkscreen 'Gibson' logo, no pickguard, plain binding and a soft bag. A satin finish (which 'soundwise', many folks actually prefer) rather than a high gloss finish was also normal on the 333. Otherwise, from a constructional point of view, dimensionally and materially, the 333 was the same guitar as the 335. It was built the same way and from the same materials.

Edit: Oh, and best of all ...... the ES-333 has a rear access cover to help facilitate any future upgrades, which the ES-335 is lacking. (see photo below)

As a result a 333 could easily and cheaply be converted into a 335, if the logo and satin finish were not an issue, and many 333 had a p'up upgrade, changing the original 498/490 p'ups to the 57 Classics or similar.

So, which is best? Arguably they are both 'compromised' 335s. So jbear, depending on whether or not SD pickups are to your fancy, you may be more than happy with the 333. It is only a hard shell case away from being a 335 - oh, and the MOP logo, of course.

I would be inclined to try to buy the 333 and clean it up. Keep the 339 - it's a different animal really - then if you are forced to make a decision, rather than keeping both, you can sell one. You will know which one is best catering to your needs by then. Good Luck!!

An ES-333 (left) and an ES-335

ES3335three.jpg

..... and the rear view, showing the access cover of the 333.

ES3335two.jpg

I appreciate all of the responses...really!

I will disagree about the 339 sounding nothing like a 335...I find there to be more upper mids and very little loss of bottom. I also am happy with the PUPs and electronics. That's my ear...but...I want to trade strictly for the feel of the body. I don't dislike the way the 339 feels...I just prefer the bigger body.

I really have a lot to digest...keep the discussion going though cuz this is really informative!

Did you try trading your ES-339 for a used ES-335 over at Dave's Guitars? Dave's has a rather nice used ES-335 Fat Neck 2007 for sale right now http://davesguitar.c...35-fat-neck-07/ .

If I were local I'd give that a shot, but...

I am still working it through with the 333 owner. We're both chewing on it. He's cool with me fielding other offers, so...I am.

Patient is what I gotta be when dealing with instruments that are this nice. The last thing I want is for either player to be unhappy. I want my guitar to go make some music somewhere and I wanna do like with with the one coming this way.

Archived