Gibson Brands Forums

Rusted screws

Hi, I am new to this so I apologize if I am writing in the wrong forum. I have a 2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard and I owned it for a year now and I have 2 of my pickup ring screws rusted.Is this is common ?? (p.s I really have sweaty hands). My other cncern is that if I change them with brand new Gibson pickup ring screws and I keep the rusty ones, would the guitar still retain its original value ? Thanks :)

Hello, The term 'original value' is rather vague for a 2008 Les Paul. If you think about it...... the moment that you left the store with it, opened the case, played it, changed the strings, scratched the pickguard, etc. it had 'lost' its 'original value' as it became a 'used' guitar.

If you are prone to sweaty hands and are bothered by the rust, I would remove them and replace them with stainless steel screws of the same size and thread. It should not effect whatever 'value' you percieve.

Also, in the future, try wiping the guitar,strings and parts with a good cloth after playing to remove the moisture.

I like the 'patina' on rusted screws :D It's a little bit of mojo you're creating on the guitar. My screws are very dull indeed on my Strat, and I love it. That and the natural aging on the pickguard tell some of its story.

Personally, unless the look annoys you, I'd leave them be, just wipe down after use as already suggested by retrorod.

Archived