Gibson Brands Forums

source for original tuners?

gov

curious if anyone has any sources for wartime vintage gibson tuners? i've been keeping my eyes peeled at musicman and koviack and while i see lots of single covered kluson's not many three on a plate open gear like i'm seeking. haven't seen on ebay either. been looking for a few months now and will continue to search but want to make sure i'm not missing anyone to monitor.

thanks for any leads you have.

The best way to get them is to score some beat to heck Regal, Kay or something.which often had the same Kluson tuners Gibson used.

Anyway, what do you need. I have a box full of three on a plate Klusons (both screwed and riveted cogs) and various parts. Some are original and others have some replacement posts.

Also Stewmac and Antique Acoustics mentioned above (available through Elderly) offer some very nice direct replacement repro three on a plate tuners.

A reasonable substitute are the repro open-back three-on-a-plate tuners made by Willi Henkes (Antique Acoustics). These are used by Gibson on the L-OO Legend and the J-45 Legend.

Thanks Nick. Currently on the guitar are what I'm guessing to be circa 60's klusons which work OK. They are a bit tight and slip every now and again but hold the tuning pretty well. As a side, whomever put them on was gracious enough not to drill and only used the three holes that matched up perfectly. If finding the original ones proves impossible and the current ones bother me I'll be giving those serious consideration. I'm spoiled by the waverly's on my SJ so it's tempting. With my '46 Epi archtop, i did just that--got tired of fighting the old ones and bought the reproductions Klusons.

The best way to get them is to score some beat to heck Regal, Kay or something.which often had the same Kluson tuners Gibson used.

Anyway, what do you need. I have a box full of three on a plate Klusons (both screwed and riveted cogs) and various parts. Some are original and others have some replacement posts.

Also Stewmac and Antique Acoustics mentioned above (available through Elderly) offer some very nice direct replacement repro three on a plate tuners.

Thanks zomby--I'm looking for 3 on a plate open gear tuners fitting of a banner lg2. I'm trying to replace with what was originally on there as everything else (save most likely the saddle) is original. They look like this--with the riveted cog as you note:

HS-back-2.png

I have a set of three on a plate bent tab Klusons with riveted cog wheels. If I recall they came off a Kay. These might be earlier than the set in the picture though as they have the two circular manufacturer's stamps on the outside of the plate. I will go dig them up tomorrow and give them a look see.

Archived