Gibson Brands Forums

LPJ Pro

kingbobyjr

Hi all...

I'm in the market for my very first Gibson Les Paul and while looking around in Guitar Center yesterday, I saw a model that is not on the Gibson website.

The model was LPJ Pro. That model isn't found anywhere on the Gibson site.

It is $100 more than the LPJ. The LPJ being $699 and the LPJ Pro being $799. The only difference I can see is the Pro has chrome covers on the pickups, which both indicate are 489T/490R.

The sales person didn't know the difference either.

Anyone have any ideas why there is a $100 price difference?

Thanks!!!

Hello!

Isn't it LPJ DLX, no?

The ones with chrome covers have Burstbucker Pro pickups. The black ones are 490R/498Ts.

Cheers... Bence

I think he's referring to this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-lpj-pro-electric-guitar

It appears that the Pro also includes individual coil taps for each pickup. Also, the Pro is available with a Maple top only in the Desertburst finish; the others are all-mahogany. I also find it odd how Gibson specifies "traditional weight relief" on the regular LPJ and doesn't specify it on the Pro...

Just some observations.

-Ryan

I think he's referring to this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-lpj-pro-electric-guitar

It appears that the Pro also includes individual coil taps for each pickup. Also, the Pro is available with a Maple top only in the Desertburst finish; the others are all-mahogany. I also find it odd how Gibson specifies "traditional weight relief" on the regular LPJ and doesn't specify it on the Pro...

Just some observations.

-Ryan

That is the one I was referring to Ryan. So it looks like coil tapping, chrome covers on the 490R/498Ts, and a maple top on the Desertburst finish (mahogany on the others) are the only differences.

I think maple is a BIG deal too.

I would have to see/hold/pet/feed and call one of theses George before I could say for sure, but I *might* prefer a desert burst one of these to my '07 Studio VM which has 490/498 in place of the BB Pros it came with.

Maybe

Too bad about the headstocks ... is Gibson really saving *that* much by not paying royalties for "Les Paul Model"?

When you say "the only difference", to me the maple cap is a big deal, well worth $100 IMHO.

I think maple is a BIG deal too.

After playing the LPJ Pro, I spied a 2013 Les Paul '60s Tribute. The '60s Tribute sounded better to me through the same Orange Amplifiers Tiny Terror TT15C-12 at the same settings.

Of course the pickups are different in the '60s Tribute (BurstBucker 1 & 2) vs the LPJ Pro.

I'm thinking I like the '60 Tribute better....it is $200 more though.

• 4 weeks later...

My opinon on this is they will all be great guitars ,not just for the money but the fact they are well made solid lumps of no nonsencse tone.

Well my chocolate LPJ is and i love it for it . Which ever one you like best go for it , forget the snobs who say they are not real les pauls.

But i would try em out properly to find the right one for you.

I know this is small ... but if they had "Les Paul model" on the headstock ... I would have bought one when they first came out. Instead I went for a 2007 VM Studio, in excellent condition, of course.

These really are nice guitars. I'm not sure how much has been added to the margin by eliminating the name from the headstock ... or if it even matters.

• 1 year later...

Hi all...

I'm in the market for my very first Gibson Les Paul and while looking around in Guitar Center yesterday, I saw a model that is not on the Gibson website.

It is $100 more than the LPJ. The LPJ being $699 and the LPJ Pro being $799. The only difference I can see is the Pro has chrome covers on the pickups, which both indicate are 489T/490R.

Thanks!!!

Actually I have this Gibson LPJ Pro (Chocolate w/chrome covers). The pickup have coil tap feature only on this "Pro" model. Also the pickups are 490R and 490T...hope this helps

Just get a nice used 2014. Maple Cap, '61 PAF Humbuckers, everything You're paying extra for the Pro, and I got a mint one year old LPJ for $550. I personally like the 120th inlay, so it a win win for me with the 2014 LPJ. Plus, it sounds AWESOME. The chrome cover would seem to bury some tone in my mind. I can't say that the LPJ Pro sounds like a bad guitar, but You can get more for less by backing up a few years. My LPJ is just as good a Les Paul as my PEACE model is.

Hi all...

Thanks!!!

Actually I have the LPJ Pro 2014 chocolate...great guitar...the Pro (chrome pickups) are actually 490R/490T...with coil tap

Archived