Gibson Brands Forums

Microphonics from my Swingster

moosesyr

I was playing my swingster tonight and I noticed microphonic notes when I would palm mute pseudo Travis style picking/strumming. It's not feedback and I'm pretty sure its not tubes or the amp. It's almost like my right hand sweeping across the bridge pup is causing the noise. Any body else have a similar experience?

Some microphonics are caused by moving pickups without anything being faulty in them. When a pickup vibrates, caused by a moving guitar top respectively pickguard, scratching fingers, or picks tapping on it, it will produce sound since strings and pickup are moving relatively to each other.

Tapping on a pickup with strings above it will always produce a clicking tone. In case you tap on a magnetic pickup on an unstrung guitar using fingernails or something non-magnetic like a plastic pick, it should not transduce any sound through an amp. If it does though, then it is microphonic indeed.

Hope this helps.

I don't notice this stuff with mine..

But let me ask ya, how loud was the amp at the time? As you say tho, you don't think it was feedback huh?

My only thought is with the Swingsters, being hollow body guitars, are a bit more suspect for feedback in situations where you're pushing it towards loud... Mine will just start to howl a bit if I'm cranking the amp.

Archived